My First Wedding Cake... Help!

Decorating By sophiebangs Updated 17 Jan 2010 , 9:06pm by Deb_

sophiebangs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sophiebangs Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 8:54pm
post #1 of 7

Hello fellow bakers!

I am making my first wedding cake and I must admit I feel a bit overwhelmed. icon_redface.gif I have a few questions and would love some help. I'm making a three tier cake, to feed 100 people. I am thinking of 14, 12, 10x2 tiers. But I have a feeling it is too much! I am also unclear on pricing, the bride wants white, chocolate and marble tiers, fondant covered with small fresh flower spills. The bride to be is a friend of mine and I want to give her a fair price, but I also don't want to be hung out to dry either...How do I even begin pricing this? One last question (stay with me friends..) The bride has a very precise shade of blue for the fondant. Any suggestions on the best colors to use? Best quality, letting me mix and try and get as close as I can to the shade she wants...

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif I really want this cake to go well, and I believe I can do this with the right guidance. So please....someone....help!!

6 replies
Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 9:03pm
post #2 of 7

from what i understand you will bake 2 10" a 12" and a 14". with those sizes you will end up with over 200 servings
here is the wilton guide that will help with cake sizes http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

for 100 servings I would do a 6, 9,12 " It wil be exactly 100 servings.

Cant help with pricing as Im in a different country

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 5:15am
post #3 of 7

6/9/12 round, 4" tall per tier is indeed 100 servings.

For the blue, just add whatever brand of food dye you normally use to good quality fondant (I use SAtinIce) until it's the shade you want.

Only you can compute your pricing.

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 5:41am
post #4 of 7

Personally, I would have her florist make the flower spills, and the florist bills for that. Since you are not a prof, should you charge what a boutique would? It's up to you. But do some homework and check to see what others are charging. There are pricing matrix (whatever the plural is) on here. That is, your cost of ingredients and time.

Also, I would let my colored fondant sit for a day or two before I put it on the cake, as sometimes fondant changes shades.

bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 7:29pm
post #5 of 7

If she is keeping the top tier dont include it in the servings.

raquel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raquel1 Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 8:00pm
post #6 of 7

I have some questions for you, just to see what all you need help with since there are not pics of your work...
I assume you have worked with fondant?
Have you made stacked cakes before? if so what method are you thinking of using?
Are you assembling on site? I would partially assemble for ease of transportation.
Regarding the pricing I would check bakeries in the area and see what their price is per serving, from there you can see what kind of price break you want to give her after covering expenses.
Regarding the color, I love Americolor brand but Wilton does have a great selection of blues.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 9:06pm
post #7 of 7

It can be very difficult to match color perfectly.... my contract states that I will try my best to match fabric swatches as close as possible, but since one is food and one is material it's almost impossible to guarantee an exact match.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%