I Need To Come Up With An Idea Fast.

Decorating By mckaren Updated 18 Jan 2010 , 7:42pm by cownsj

mckaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mckaren Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 1:54pm
post #1 of 11

I need to make a cake for my brother who is coming over today for a week (he lives in Germany and we're in UK).

He was supposed to come for his birthday and xmas and wanted a cake but he couldn't make it. He's rushed over this weekend for a family emergency and has hinted that he would still like his cake. He's very cheeky but we're very close and he can get away with it icon_rolleyes.gif

The trouble is, I'm doing another cake tomorrow and monday and can only really decorate when my children are in bed so I need an idea that will be easy and appropriate for him.

He originally wanted something like the motorbike cake in my pictures but there's no way I'm getting to any shops to buy a model one and I have no idea where to start making one out of gumpaste.

Other possible inspiration for you; he's 38, Scottish and proud, loves his bike (racing not harley), whisky and wolves. Any ideas? It doesn't have to be a theme, just somethin for a novice icon_redface.gif

Edit - I was thinkin of doing white or chocolate buttercream instead of fondant for quickness.
Thanks for looking,

10 replies
MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 2:28pm
post #2 of 11

For funny--the first thought I had was him riding a bike holding a whisky bottle with a wolf chasing him! LOL

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 2:33pm
post #3 of 11

what about a whiskey bottle?

janeoxo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janeoxo Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 2:53pm
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnSnow

For funny--the first thought I had was him riding a bike holding a whisky bottle with a wolf chasing him! LOL

That is brill, shame you don't have the time to do that. Maybe one for the future!

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 3:13pm
post #5 of 11

How about doing a plaid fondant covering.

Or, make a parking spot indicating that the bike sped away (skid marks or somthing), a whiskey bottle tossed onto the street and just the tail end of the wolf running off the cake.

mckaren Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 1:39pm
post #6 of 11

(Yay the site's working again, I can reply!!)

Thank you very much for your ideas - I'm keeping those stored for future cakes. I love the tyre marks one and that set off a thought proccess which ended up in me doing my first image on buttercream. I did the basic outlines of the main body work that make up his bike (which is all black except for a silver exhaust) and I did it in brush fondant.

It was a really quick design to do and looks a bit abstract. icon_redface.gif Next time I attempt brush embroidery I'll do it on a fondant cake - not buttercream!!

I'll upload a pic later today.

Thanks again

Karen

cownsj Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 3:40pm
post #7 of 11

Can't wait to see what you came up with. Let us know how the birthday boy likes his cake too.

mckaren Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 6:46pm
post #8 of 11

cownsj, I think you might be a bit disappointed!!

Here it is; http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1560707

It's in my photos if the link doesn't work. It's very plain because of my lack of time and I knew he'll just appreciate the fact that I've made it. On the plus side of it, he knew it was his suzuki straight away. icon_lol.gif

amielyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amielyn Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 7:01pm
post #9 of 11

He must have loved it! I think it came out great, sometimes the simplest designs are the best!

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 7:06pm
post #10 of 11

That's perfect! Exactly what you were needing and it looks great!

cownsj Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 7:42pm
post #11 of 11

I love that you went the brushed embroidery look. Excellent choice for this. It takes a simple design and steps it up a notch. BAM! (ok, so I guess I'm channeling Emeril, but it fits....lol) Good job.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%