Disney Cake Idea - Help!

Decorating By DetailsByDawn Updated 29 Jan 2010 , 6:27pm by CakesForMyKids_Com

DetailsByDawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DetailsByDawn Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 4:44am
post #1 of 9

Ok, so I'm doing a cake for my friend's daughter's 3rd birthday. The husband is throwing the party as a surprise for his wife. They will be coming back from Disney the day before the party and he wants a Disney Castle princess theme. His wife thinks they are having dinner at her in-laws and asked me to make a Toy Story "Woody" cake, as her daughter is in love with that movie. Now the husband has given me creative authority to do "whatever I think is best". I want them all to be happy and want to incorporate both ideas into one cake, but I can't figure out how to do it well. I thought a princess cake with Woody and others in the windows or on top. I just don't think it will capture the mood. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm open to all shapes and sizes and mediums, so if you have any advice I'm all ears. Thanks so much!!

8 replies
cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 5:00am
post #2 of 9

If you want to stay with the Toy Story theme, you do have the Little Bo Peep character, which is along the lines of a princess cake, that you can incorporate into your design. Maybe do the bed with the different toy characters on the floor?

mckaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mckaren Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 1:36pm
post #3 of 9

How about a castle with the Woody and princess characters on the edges, or the board?

CakesForMyKids_Com Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesForMyKids_Com Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 2:18pm
post #4 of 9

To me, it sounds like your two themes are incompatible. I'm sure it's possible (almost anything is) but I cannot imagine a princess castle with Woody and Bo-Peep. My alternative idea may sound a little crazy, but bear with me...

You know how they have parades in the Disney parks, and that the floats are usually themed - well in the parade in March, in Disneyland Paris, they did it slighly differently. Instead of each flat having a single theme, they had two themes - one on the front and one on the back, with the two themes divided by a vertical divider (across the width of the float) designed to look like a book.

So how about trying it with a cake? Make the usual stacked cylinder, and then add the book round the egdes and at the top using gumpaste or pastillage, giving the impression that the cake is in two halves without actually dividing it. Having done that you are then free to decorate the two sides however you want - Half a castle on one side, backed onto fields, hills and the sky, with a wild-west saloon on the other with Woody, Bo-Peep etc and a background of catcusses.

Not sure if I have described it very well so let me know if this just souds confusing and I'll try to revise the vision...

icon_smile.gif

Good luck

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 2:41pm
post #5 of 9

Oh the "like a book" reminded me of a cake just like that, a open book with a different story on each page, I think it was Nemo and the Lion King?
I'll see if I can find it. BRB.

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 2:42pm
post #6 of 9

Here we go, love love love this cake. You could do one page for Toy Story and one for the Princesses.
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1160562

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 3:43pm
post #7 of 9

I liked the book idea as soon as CakesForMyKids posted it, but then seeing one done that way, I think it's fantastic.

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 4:42pm
post #8 of 9

Does the husband know that the wife asked you to make the Woody cake? If not, let him know. Maybe he will be happy to change the plan to just having the Woody cake.

Good luck!

CakesForMyKids_Com Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesForMyKids_Com Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 6:27pm
post #9 of 9

I'd love to see what the final cake looked like
icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%