Mad Hatter Afternoon Tea

Lounge By MiszMez Updated 19 Jan 2010 , 1:20am by HerBoudoir

MiszMez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MiszMez Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 4:56am
post #1 of 9

Hi everyone,

Today I am preparing for an afternoon tea party I am holding on the weekend. I completed my first teapot themed cake which is a Mad Hatter theme.

My only problem now is that I need food to accompany the cake for the afternoon tea that will flow on with the Mad Hatter theme. Do any of you have some ideas of what I can serve??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This is the cake that I made for the afternoon tea.
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1557457

icon_biggrin.gif

MiszMez

8 replies
Lee15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lee15 Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 1:23pm
post #2 of 9

Your cake is very cute. When I think of afternoon tea, I usually think of finger sandwiches and any petite pastries. Make the sandwiches, cut off the crust, and cut in 2 or 3 pieces. You can get creative and use cutters to form the shapes.

verisimilitude Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
verisimilitude Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 1:34pm
post #3 of 9

Scones with jam and cream! Or pikelets. The finger sandwhiches are a good idea, too. I used to make really cute ones by using both wholemeal and white bread, and cutting the same shape (ie little spots or stars) out of the bread and switching the colours over so you have wholemeal spots in the white bread and vice versa. My daughter used to love it when she was little icon_smile.gif

Mini tarts or pies are another thing you could serve. I'd definitely stick with the finger food theme though, just to keep the feel. Hmm, I'm guessing you'd probably want more savoury type foods. You could make some nice cheesy scrolls or cheesy bread sticks, maybe?

WHatever you decide, have fun with it. I'm sure it'll be heaps of fun!

mullett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mullett Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 1:52pm
post #4 of 9

You can go to Joy of baking. com and click on english tea for many ideas

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 1:54pm
post #5 of 9

definitely finger sandwiches. Wonder if there is a way to decorate some crackers like little playing cards or something? To get the whole Alice in Wonderland feel to it? Or maybe use some cards as a decoration...scattered about the table?

As far as kids go, veggies with dip/ranch always seem to disappear fast.........you could even cut out pieces of cheese into different shapes and offer them wtih crackers.

I have a little tea cup cutter, that would be so cute to cut cheese into those shapes. Or even little hearts and diamonds, depends on the cutters you have available

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 2:23pm
post #6 of 9

..moving to the Lounge. icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 2:36pm
post #7 of 9

I haven't seen the movie in forever but what foods do they have at their tea party? If you could make some of those that'd be cool. icon_smile.gif

Also finger sandwichs or small apps are always nice. Chicken salad and cucumber sandwichs are always my faves at nice functions like that. You can even do cream puffs and fill them with chicken salad.

MiszMez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MiszMez Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 12:47am
post #8 of 9

Thank you for all your replies.

I think the sandwiches will definately be something I will go for. I might cut them into the hearts diamonds spades and clubs like the cards in the movie?

Mullett, I will check out Joy of Baking today.

Thank you again

MiszMez icon_biggrin.gif

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 1:20am
post #9 of 9

It's just not an afternoon tea without scones ~ preferably with clotted cream and strawberry jam!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%