Big Job, Not Sure What To Quote

Business By cgm_cakes Updated 14 Jan 2010 , 1:34am by JanH

cgm_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cgm_cakes Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 11:25pm
post #1 of 6

I know pricing questions can be a sore spot around here. I do have my pricing set, my question is that I've been asked to do a large, intricate order. I know I have the time and ability to do the order, I just want to make sure I'm not undercutting myself. I typically charge $3.00/serving for fondant (as is the going price in my area of Western Canada). This is what the bride wants:

- 120 elegant mini cakes for favors
- each cake will be 2 tiers, the bottom tier being approx 3"
- all done in fondant
- white, black and purple or burgandy accents
- each individually packaged in boxes or cellophane

I'm not sure what to charge per cake. I've done mini cakes before (such as treasure chests or smash cakes) and charged $5 to $8 a piece. Because of the amount of work and detail involved I was thinking $10 each? The wedding isn't until fall 2011. Any advice you have is appreciated. Also any suggestions you might have for speeding up the baking and decorating process. I've been searching online for pans and such but have yet to come up with anything. I'll be speaking with my cake supply store this weekend.

Thanks again CC'ers.

5 replies
cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 11:31pm
post #2 of 6

$20 each

saffronica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saffronica Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 12:10am
post #3 of 6

I've never tried doing a mini cake like that, but I've seen plenty of threads in which people complain that the mini cakes are so much harder and take so much longer than they expected. I would recommend that you try making one before you decide on a price -- I suspect you'll find that you want a lot more than $10 each.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 1:18am
post #4 of 6

Do NOT do these for any less then $20 a piece.

I did something similar for my Goddaughter and I swore that I would NEVER tackle something so tedious again.....EVEN for my own kids.

They are SO much work.....it's VERY difficult to cover something that small in fondant without damaging the cake....it's next to impossible to get your fondant smooth enough where you're satisfied with it.

First of all I wouldn't quote her anything this early....how do we know what we'll be paying for sugar, butter etc 18 months from now? It's way too early for a quote for fall 2011.

Second.....make a few of these as a trial before you agree to do them.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 1:20am
post #5 of 6

Thought I'd add.

I didn't bake individual cakes....I baked sheets and cut the little tiers out with round cutters.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 1:34am
post #6 of 6

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%