Chocolate That Looks Like Icecream

Decorating By deetmar Updated 12 Jan 2010 , 9:21pm by deetmar

deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 5:27pm
post #1 of 8

I watched on one of the FoodNetwork Castle competition, where they whipped melted chocolate and it looked like ice cream that was dipped for an ice cream cone. Does anybody know how to do this?

I really want to try it, but can't figure it out.

thanks,

7 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 5:46pm
post #2 of 8

Hi, is it ganache? But to make ganache you need heavy cream and chocolate and also ganache can be whipped. icon_smile.gif

deetmar Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 6:04pm
post #3 of 8

No, she used melted chocolate and whipped it with her beater, and added water very slowly. It ended up looking like the top of an icecream cone.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 6:15pm
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by deetmar

I watched on one of the FoodNetwork Castle competition, where they whipped melted chocolate and it looked like ice cream that was dipped for an ice cream cone. Does anybody know how to do this?

I really want to try it, but can't figure it out.

thanks,

Was this the candy castle challenge? I saw a lady do that on the candy castle challenge at Mall of Americas and I recall them saying it was chocolate she used for the ice cream - - and it looked TOTALLY like ice cream! Unfortunately, I believe the lady who made that particular castle has passed away so I don't know who you'd contact to find out how she did it. I thought it was something more along the lines of modeling chocolate, but I could be wrong.

Ronbob1984 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ronbob1984 Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 6:18pm
post #5 of 8

It is actually chocolate that you add enough water to to make it sieze while you whip it up. Then just use an ice cream scoop and you are good to go!

kimblyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimblyd Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 6:32pm
post #6 of 8

You could try using the Wilton candy melts. Melt in microwave and add a little water, stirring and adding more until it seizes. I saw that episode the other day, I'm pretty sure that's what she did.

HTH

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 9:21pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks for all the information. I tried it again, and it worked. The first time I think I over beat it, because the chocolate oil had come out, but the second time, I just beat it until it started to sieze and only added 1/2 tsp of water, and it cam out fine.

I appreciate the help! I am so sad to hear that she passed, but it's great she won the challenge before she did.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%