I Just Made My First Batch Of Smbc...

Decorating By jhay Updated 25 Jan 2010 , 8:21pm by sugarMomma

jhay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jhay Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 2:23am
post #1 of 38

and it freaking rocks! I was petrified for about 90% of the process, thinking I was doing something wrong, but then it all came together in the end. I'm making a very close friend's wedding cake this weekend and wanted to do something other than decorator buttercream.

Folks... I think we've found a winner!

Thanks to all of you who tout the wonders of SMBC!

37 replies
MalibuBakinBarbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 6:05pm
post #2 of 38

Oh yes, SMBC & IMBC are awesome! Glad you like it & I'm sure it's going to be a hit at your friend's wedding. Come back and let us know! (Post a pic, too!) icon_smile.gif

_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 6:13pm
post #3 of 38

Welcome to the wonderful world of SMBC....you'll be here for good!

elliespartycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elliespartycake Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 6:23pm
post #4 of 38

SMBC is my absolute favorite. So smooth, no gritty powdered sugar feel in the mouth and once you've made it a couple of times it's easy peasy! icon_biggrin.gif

jhay Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 6:31pm
post #5 of 38

I found a small lump or two of butter in my icing that hadn't incorporated all the way. Should I mix longer?

_Jamie_ Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 6:34pm
post #6 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhay

I found a small lump or two of butter in my icing that hadn't incorporated all the way. Should I mix longer?

Yes. Quite literally, beat the hell out of it. icon_lol.gif By now though, shouldn't take too long. But I have started adding my butter straight from the fridge, so I do have to let it whip for a good while.

jhay Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 6:39pm
post #7 of 38

Thanks Jamie! I was afraid of getting too much air into it, but now I know that I can let it fly!

I appreciate it gals! Thanks!

_Jamie_ Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 6:45pm
post #8 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhay

Thanks Jamie! I was afraid of getting too much air into it, but now I know that I can let it fly!

I appreciate it gals! Thanks!

Now, I don't want a bunch of air in mine either, so I switch to the paddle attachment before adding the butter in. Towards the end, I turn the mixer down low and let it spin around for a couple of minutes to draw out more air, as well. icon_smile.gif

jhay Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 6:48pm
post #9 of 38

I switched to the paddle too. Good! Now I know I'm doing it right!

Good tip about slowing it down. Thanks again!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 6:57pm
post #10 of 38

Don't leave it mixing too too long. If you mix it for a long time it can get soupy from the heat caused by mixing... all the friction and all, but a little more mixing won't hurt it. (and if it did get too soft on you just let it sit for a while and it'll be as good as new) Welcome to SMBC... it is definitely a good thing.

jhay Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 7:17pm
post #11 of 38

Ooh, by the way... how long will SMBC last once I've made it. I'm thinking of whipping up 2 more batches tonight, but I won't be icing the cakes until tomorrow.

Thanks!

FromScratch Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 7:24pm
post #12 of 38

It'll be fine until tomorrow. If you put it in the fridge make sure you let it get to room temp before you whip it back up. If it's too cold it will separate and look all curdled like cottage cheese when you whip it up. If that does happen (it happens to me if I leave it on the counter since it's freeeeezing here right now) don't panic. Just heat it up either by running a torch over your mixer bowl or by setting it over boiling water for a few minutes at a time until it warms up and it will be as good as new. icon_smile.gif

jhay Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 7:37pm
post #13 of 38

Awesome! And once I get the cakes iced, I'm going to put box them, wrap the box in Saran, and put them in the fridge until the morning of the wedding (Sat.). That's ok, isn't it?

Normally I wouldn't do that, but I'm actually in the wedding too (I'm singing), and I have to be at the rehearsal Friday night.

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 7:41pm
post #14 of 38

I love the taste of SMBC but mine is always super soft, same consistency as room-temp butter. Is this correct or am I not whipping my egg whites enough? I feel like it's not sturdy enough to decorate with so I just use it as a filling for now....

jhay Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 7:48pm
post #15 of 38

When I was whipping mine, I made sure that when I detatched my whisk attachment, that the eggwhites stuck to it and made a point. the indentation from where the whisk was also stayed put. It wasn't super thick, but things stayed in place. The recipe I used said to whisk on med-high for 10 minutes or until stiff peaks form.

FromScratch Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 8:02pm
post #16 of 38

Sugarmomma... it might have just been a little too warm. I have piped with it with no issues... you can make roses with it too. When it's warm it's really soft. I usually have 2 bags going if I have to pipe a lot. I have warm hands (though not right this very second... brrr) so this works for me so I can put one bag down when it gets a little soft and use the other.

If it's really warm and soft you can leave it on the counter for a while or pop it in the fridge for a few minutes at a time until it firms up. If it gets too cold though it's not a good thing. SMBC has alearning curve for sure, but it's a great icing to work with once you get the hang of it.

When you whip the meringue up just let it whip on med high (#8 on the KA) until the mixer bow is neutral to the touch. If your butter is super soft let it get cool to the touch. icon_smile.gif

And jhay... your cakes will be fine boxed up and brought with you. Just be sure to leave time for them to get close to room temp before serving or the icing will be really stiff. Not usually an issue with weddings though since the cake is set up for so long. icon_smile.gif

_Jamie_ Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 8:13pm
post #17 of 38

And if you are lazy (I hate to promote this, but it works for me icon_biggrin.gif ) You can whip it on the highest setting for a few minutes, the bowl will still be quite hot, but adding the butter right out of the fridge in small cubes....ends up being a nice, firm, stiff consistency, and at the end, the bowl is very cool. I got lazy Jeanne....I cut my time in half now. icon_smile.gif

sugarMomma Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 8:25pm
post #18 of 38

I watched that youtube video of Dyann Bakes and whipped it til my whites looked like hers, the peak was sorta stiff but still fell over a bit. Should it be like royal icing stiff? Sorry to hijack the thread, I have always wondered about this.

sugarMomma Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 8:31pm
post #19 of 38

You know, I always used softened room temp butter and maybe it was too warm. I never really get much of a severe "curdling" effect either before it's ready, and I wondered about that too, so it must be the warm butter. I will have to try your trick Jamie, thanks!

_Jamie_ Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 8:33pm
post #20 of 38

If you do, make sure the mixer head is locked when you get to the adding butter stage (and of course, use the paddle), because that cold a$$ butter will want to kick the mixing arm right up out of the bowl.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 8:48pm
post #21 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Jamie_

And if you are lazy (I hate to promote this, but it works for me icon_biggrin.gif ) You can whip it on the highest setting for a few minutes, the bowl will still be quite hot, but adding the butter right out of the fridge in small cubes....ends up being a nice, firm, stiff consistency, and at the end, the bowl is very cool. I got lazy Jeanne....I cut my time in half now. icon_smile.gif

I must be lazy too, cause that's how I do it. I have Neever used butter at room. temp. If not refrigerated cool, it is some what cool, not soft.

_Jamie_ Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 9:01pm
post #22 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

Quote:

I must be lazy too, cause that's how I do it. I have Neever used butter at room. temp. If not refrigerated cool, it is some what cool, not soft.

icon_redface.gif Ok, I lied. This is what really happened. Several times.

Hum duh dee...whipping my egg whites...hum duh....DAMNIT! I forgot to take the freaking butter out of the fridge...AGAIN! icon_mad.gif Ok, well, it's gonna have to work with cold butter....lo and behold. icon_cool.gif

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 9:09pm
post #23 of 38
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

Quote:

icon_redface.gif Ok, I lied. This is what really happened. Several times.

Hum duh dee...whipping my egg whites...hum duh....DAMNIT! I forgot to take the freaking butter out of the fridge...AGAIN! icon_mad.gif Ok, well, it's gonna have to work with cold butter....lo and behold. icon_cool.gif

Yeah, I know it's cause I forgot the butter in the fridge. shhh.gif I figured it'ld be okay going into the hot egg whites. And it beat having to wait for the egg whites to cool down.

FromScratch Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 10:46pm
post #24 of 38

LOL... I'm lazy too Jamie. I don't like to have to cut the butter up... so when it's soft I just add it in huge hunks at a time. Whack some off with the rubber spatula and plunk it in... and if it is sticks rather than blocks I just put it in one stick at a time. I'm sure your version of lazy works wonderfully, but I hate cutting butter up into little pieces... unless it's for pate brisee... LOL.

I'm usually doing something ese while the egg whites are whipping up so I don't notice the time. Making a 3 pound of batch... that's a lot of cutting into litte pieces. Makes me tired just thinking about it. icon_wink.gificon_lol.gif

_Jamie_ Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 10:52pm
post #25 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratch

LOL... I'm lazy too Jamie. I don't like to have to cut the butter up... so when it's soft I just add it in huge hunks at a time. Whack some off with the rubber spatula and plunk it in... and if it is sticks rather than blocks I just put it in one stick at a time. I'm sure your version of lazy works wonderfully, but I hate cutting butter up into little pieces... unless it's for pate brisee... LOL.

I'm usually doing something ese while the egg whites are whipping up so I don't notice the time. Making a 3 pound of batch... that's a lot of cutting into litte pieces. Makes me tired just thinking about it. icon_wink.gificon_lol.gif

True...you have a point there. Hmmmmm. Maybe I need a reminder bell "JAMIE! Take the dang butter out NOW---before you start!" Lol.....yep, 6 sticks o'buttah. I pile three up at a time and start cutting away...I do have a nice sharp knife, but ya got a good point there!

FromScratch Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 11:19pm
post #26 of 38

I usually wait until the bowl is pretty much cooled and add the softened butter... if it's a little soft that's okay because more often than not it's going in the big bucket while I make another batch. I usually make the icing while I'm waiting for the cakes to cool/set or before I even bake them and whip it up as I need it. I have a big 5 gallon bucket for busy weeks and empty 20 lb satin ice containers for less busy weeks. When I'm making 3 big batches... no way I'm cutting all that butter... that's 12 sticks per batch (18 egg white batches)... I'm waaaaaay to lazy for that! icon_lol.gif

_Jamie_ Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 11:24pm
post #27 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratch

I usually wait until the bowl is pretty much cooled and add the softened butter... if it's a little soft that's okay because more often than not it's going in the big bucket while I make another batch. I usually make the icing while I'm waiting for the cakes to cool/set or before I even bake them and whip it up as I need it. I have a big 5 gallon bucket for busy weeks and empty 20 lb containers for less busy weeks. When I'm making 3 big batches... no way I'm cutting all that butter... that's 12 sticks per batch (18 egg white batches)... I'm waaaaaay to lazy for that! icon_lol.gif

Ya know, I'm glad we had this conversation. I have a 6 tier (maybe 7, not sure yet, would be a last minute 4" if the client wants it for WOW factor) this weekend. I am going to write myself a note and make sure my butter is softened up first. I've got a seriously huge number of SMBC batches to make for this bad boy cake on Friday morning. I don't think I want to be chunking up that much buttah either! icon_redface.gif

MayWest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MayWest Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 11:38pm
post #28 of 38

YEY...Another SMBC Convert...you will never go back! 99% of my cakes are fondant covered and it works great under fondant.

jhay Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 1:41pm
post #29 of 38

Good to know May West! I was hoping that it would do well under fondant. I am excited to use it this weekend!

FromScratch Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 3:03pm
post #30 of 38

Oh yes... it's wonderful under fondant... all of my cakes are fondant covered (there's a few in my photos that aren't, but those are from way back) and they all have SMBC under them too. I chill them before laying on the fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%