Ideas For Carving Tools

Decorating By SuzyNoQ Updated 11 Jan 2010 , 9:37pm by tastyart

SuzyNoQ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SuzyNoQ Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 7:12pm
post #1 of 7

What would make some good carving tools? I can't afford the gumpaste/fondant tool set but would like something similar in shapes.

6 replies
_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 7:39pm
post #3 of 7

do you mean modeling tools? If so you could check out polymer clay tools and playdough tools. I don't have any fondant tools either. I just improvise with things I already have.

Charmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmed Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 7:40pm
post #4 of 7

I have seen wilton gumpaste tools at Hobbylobby and they have 40% coupons every other week.

http://shop.hobbylobby.com/store/item.aspx?ItemId=89785&dep=75&cat=60&subcat=5&Search=Y

Joann or Michaels have 40 or even 50% off coupons.

SuzyNoQ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SuzyNoQ Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 9:05pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:

that is the set I was talking about, even with a coupon it's not in the budget right now, I was thinking more along the lines of stuff I already had in the house that would work.
I guess I am just stuck on what to improvise with.

_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 9:19pm
post #6 of 7

Oh oh oh.....ok. Well, butter knives, pencils, pen caps, push pins....rulers, spoons, the end of ball point pens...ummmm, skewers.....look around. Everything hand held is an opportunity to be used in another way. Whatever looks like it will make an impression you like, or make a slit, or curve, or, or, or....anything! Marbles, don't forget marbles. Large marbles. And fish tank "half marbles", ya know those flat kind of marbles....can be used for frilling.

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 9:37pm
post #7 of 7

I use knives and the handles on craft brushes and toothpicks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%