Charged At Cost. Now I've Done It!

Decorating By CAKEahuna Updated 12 Jan 2010 , 3:42am by justducky

CAKEahuna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CAKEahuna Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 6:56pm
post #1 of 10

Ugh. So the last month or so my cake decorating passion has caught on like wildfire. I have people asking how much I charge? Where is my business card? I never expected this. I have only done a total of 5 cakes that include fondant so I am a Rookie and I do have ALOT to learn.
Yesterday, a friend of a friend asked me to do her daughters Spongebob cake and how much I charge? I told her I would do it at cost but now I think I may have started something. I don't want people to think I don't charge. Ack! I have 4 kids under the age of 7 and I need to get paid for my time and effort. Please give me some advice about pricing and what to tell future clients. Thanks so much.

9 replies
_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CAKEahuna Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 7:34pm
post #3 of 10

Ok. I get it. I made my bed now lie in it, right. icon_cry.gif Thanks for the link. Just was curious how to clean up my mess. Now how do I delete this post?

_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 7:40pm
post #4 of 10

I frankly do not know how you would clean that up. I never did that, because I didn't want to shortchange myself.

How do you tell people what was basically free before, now costs (what they will say is) an arm and a leg? I don't know. Wouldn't want to have to. icon_sad.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 7:47pm
post #5 of 10

QueenMommy, What are the rules and regulations in your area? If you are not allowed to legally sale cakes that could be your way out.

In this case I think because you already said it you just have to suck it up and do it. I would be very clear that it was an one time only price and if she wants another cake, it will be xyz amount.

People often give people an at cost rate at first because you are new or don't think you have alot of experince, not realising that you get stuck at that price. It is hard to go up from very little to you making a profit because people will get use to getting a great cake for cheap cheap. So nip it in the bud now.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 7:49pm
post #6 of 10

..moving to General forum. icon_smile.gif

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 10:07pm
post #7 of 10

Since you have already committed to making the woman's cake at cost, I think you are stuck.

However, before you accept one more order:
a) find out if you can legally sell cakes in your area
b) figure out your costs and get a price list together

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 10:26pm
post #8 of 10

We've all done this. 999 out of 1000 at least.
Friends are usually the worst I think.
When you drop this off just explain how long it took and tell her this is the last free cake your getting.

CAKEahuna Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 10:35pm
post #9 of 10

Thanks for the advice. The lesson has been learned. icon_cool.gif

justducky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justducky Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 3:42am
post #10 of 10

Tell her the truth. You misquoted the price! Tell her you will honor it this time as it was your error.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%