Baking And Pastry School Or Baking Classes?

Decorating By musselmom Updated 11 Jan 2010 , 5:22pm by adventuregal

musselmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
musselmom Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 12:02am
post #1 of 12

I would love to go to Baking and Pastry school. I just discovered one about 30 miles from my home. The class schedule would work perfect with my current job. Only problem is it would be abount $16,000.00.
I have been decorating cakes for over 30 years. I feel confident about my decorating skills (always wishing/trying to improve) but I want to learn to bake great cakes, from scratch. The town I live in doesn't even have a bakery, only a Wal-mart. I don't think I'd learn that working there. Anybody know of someplace to take a class or classes on cake baking?
Most posts I've seen say culinary schools aren't worth the money. Any one out there go to Baking and Pastry school?

11 replies
Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 12:17am
post #2 of 12

16 isn't bad that's a pretty good price. Do you get a degree with that? Is it ACF certified. Since you want to learn more than decorating I do suggest you go to school. You certainly don't have to, BUT you will be years ahead of someone that started at the same level as you.

Now if it was LCB, or Art inst. I would say no way the tuition is to high you'll never make your money back..

Can you check with a community college nearby?

Mike

littlejewel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlejewel Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 12:39am
post #3 of 12

I don't know how far your nearest largest city is, mine is 2 hours away. There is a school called the french pastry school in chicago they offer continuing education classes, maybe there is something like that near you. frenchpastryschool.com

musselmom Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 12:44am
post #4 of 12

Thanks Mike. Its the Art Institute. I'm going to go meet with them tomorrow. Over the phone I was told I can sign up for a class at a time. I guess I'll see what they have to say.
Lori

BecuzImAGurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BecuzImAGurl Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 4:42am
post #5 of 12

I'm currently attending The French Pastry School...I think they are the best out there...

BecuzImAGurl Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 4:45am
post #6 of 12

oh...they actually have well-known chefs that teach you the skills and they have connections that can help you find a job afterwards...though of course landing the land is your responsiblity but they are so friendly they help you with anything thats in their power.

BecuzImAGurl Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 4:45am
post #7 of 12

oops i mean landing the job...

Mike1394 Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 9:58am
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by musselmom

Thanks Mike. Its the Art Institute. I'm going to go meet with them tomorrow. Over the phone I was told I can sign up for a class at a time. I guess I'll see what they have to say.
Lori

RUN, you'll never, ever be able to make enough money to pay back what it cost to get the education. I made the mistake of calling art inst. over three yrs ago. I still get emails, and calls.

Always keep this in mind. When you graduate you WILL NOT BE A CHEF. They are in the business of putting people in the classroom.

Mike

musselmom Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 12:34pm
post #9 of 12

I checked out the French Pastry School online. I could take serveral great looking classes, including travel and hotel and still spend a lot less then $16,000. I live about 5 1/2 hours from Chicago. I have taken a Wilton Chocolate class in Chicago, Thanks for the info Gurl.
Lori

BecuzImAGurl Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 4:47pm
post #10 of 12

no problem, as for mike? not getting a job = 95% you not working hard enough to land one....in French Pastry School they advice you to do volunteer work at functions and events, you get a chance to meet chefs and if you make a good impression they will remember you and one day be good use. There is also Stages...similar to Internship but most of the time you do it for free, even if it's just helping them wash dishes to sweeping the floor, you get an idea how it is to work in a bakery, hotel or whatever place. You might think omg! working for free? and doing a maid's job? well what you earn is a network of people that either will offer you a job or refer you to another. plus...in your resume it might look better that you worked at so and so places and you wont panic that you never step foot in a kitchen (besides your own)

Sorry for putting so much at you. A good thing about a good school is many employers will come and look at the classrooms to see which student is good and be a great addition to their team.

Mike1394 Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 4:51pm
post #11 of 12

I didn't say you won't find a job. I said you won't find a job that will pay back the tuition at LCB, or the Art inst. You'll never make enough money to pay off the loans. Yeah as for finding a job goes. I know how the drill works. I don't agree with all of it, but I know about it.

Mike

adventuregal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adventuregal Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 5:22pm
post #12 of 12

I'm leaving Seattle for 6 months starting in July to move to Chicago and go to the French Pastry School-their program is 22, 000 or 16,000 for just cakes...but you can get alot of financial aid-I'm assuming alot of the people worrying about cost aren't thinking of aid options or aren't eligible, but its definitely worth looking into. If you qualify you can get your tuition sometimes half off or all off and a great education!
I also took Wilton a year ago-it was fun, but I didn't learn much and as far as baking the actual cakes like you mentioned the tips and instruction really depends on tips from your instructor since Wilton focuses on the structural aspect of the cakes and decorating. Another idea would be to intern for someone at a bakery or a fellow cake decorator-you can learn alot for free and its not as much of a time commitment.
icon_smile.gif Hope you find what you are looking for!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%