Smooth Cupcakes?

Baking By milly-mel Updated 16 Jan 2010 , 9:10pm by CarolAnn

milly-mel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milly-mel Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 4:13pm
post #1 of 8

every time i make cupcakes the tops crack and split, how can i get them to stay nice smooth and rounded. i usually skim the top off but then they become flat.

7 replies
juststarted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juststarted Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 5:16pm
post #2 of 8

may be you have to change the recipe? Magnolia bakery's vanilla cupcake recipe is great.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 5:31pm
post #3 of 8

sounds like something to do with oven temp? maybe try a bit lower temp for slightly longer.
xx

milly-mel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milly-mel Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 10:17pm
post #4 of 8

i'l try that thanks, i have just kept the temp the same as i would for big cakes so this could prob be the problem, just never occured to me icon_redface.gif

CruzinCupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CruzinCupcakes Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 6:28am
post #5 of 8

My best friend asked me this a few weeks ago...how do I get mine to come out so smooth and round. First of all I use a 1/4 cup to fill them (so they are all the same size and cook evenly) secondly I pound my filled cupcake tins on the counter a few times (gets all the bubbles out) lastly I shake the tins around a few times. The batter has to be perfectly level or they will raise strange and that causes the cracking....hope this helps icon_biggrin.gif

http://cruzincupcakes.blogspot.com/

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 7:15am
post #6 of 8

It sounds like your batter might be a little too dry or your oven too hot.

Cruzin, try finding an ice cream scoop the same size as what you need to fill your papers or tins. It's the best way I've found to fill for cupcakes. Takes much less time and less mess than using a measuring cup and spoon. Just scoop it level and squeeze it quick over the paper. I enjoy making cuppies so much more since I started doing it this way.

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 4:46pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolAnn

It sounds like your batter might be a little too dry or your oven too hot.

Cruzin, try finding an ice cream scoop the same size as what you need to fill your papers or tins. It's the best way I've found to fill for cupcakes. Takes much less time and less mess than using a measuring cup and spoon. Just scoop it level and squeeze it quick over the paper. I enjoy making cuppies so much more since I started doing it this way.

I agree the ice cream scoop IS the way to go!!! Easy, no mess and same size cc's. I found the oneida scoop (stainless one) works perfectly for me (Walmart).

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 9:10pm
post #8 of 8

Mine is Farberware and holds 1/4 cup. Think I also got mine from WM. My regular size cupcakes are made in the jumbo papers, my small are the regular/standard size papers. This scoop is perfect for the jumbo papers. I'd like to have another half this size for use with the reg/standard size papers. I'm tellin ya, this is the way to go!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%