Home Bakers.. Where Do You Meet Your Brides For Tastings?

Business By tarheelgirl Updated 22 Jan 2010 , 5:26am by bonnscakesAZ

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 7:07pm
post #31 of 33

I don't have pictures but I basically get a small square 8" box and a board in it. On the top I put a small bow with my card glued on. On the board I have 3 cake flavors -2 each for the bride/groom cut into squares. I then have fillings. I also cover my most popular flavor or whatever they have requested with fondant and cut in half. Most of my brides/grooms are fondant haters icon_biggrin.gif So I like to convert them with mine and show them that all fondant does not taste like poo! Whatever is left they take home. It's also a discreet way of walking into a coffee shop with a small box.

tulips_n_truffles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tulips_n_truffles Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 8:01pm
post #32 of 33

Hey Sparkle,

Quite the opposite. All of my clients that have opted for a "take-home" tasting have been very happy...comments have been along the lines of "no-pressure" and "laid-back, not stuffy like othe tastings we've been to"... My clients always have an option of attending a tasting party, a private tasting, or the "take-home" and I would say 85-90% choose take-home.

I allow clients to choose 4 flavors (I have set flavor menus, but they can deviate from that all they want) and they get 3 cupcakes of each flavor. If they want a filling, I pipe filling into the cupcakes. They also can choose up to 3 additional frostings if they don't like the pairings.

Now that being said, I am NOT a wedding cake maker. I do more like homestyle cake buffets and cupcakes in the hundreds. No fondant, no fru-fru anything really. If a client wants that, I work with another baker to make it happen, but I myself don't do anything like some of the fabulous wedding cakes our aquaintences here do...

bonnscakesAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonnscakesAZ Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 5:26am
post #33 of 33

When I was in business I always met at Starbucks. I just told them I rented a kitchen and wasn't able to meet at the kitchen. (it was a business in the day, I baked at night). Also I never wanted people coming to my home. If I had my own business, them coming there would be fine but I don't want strangers in my home or knowing where I live on the off chance they were a nut. LOL I mean that is where my family is so I want that private. No one ever had an issue with it. It was nice for me too, just to get out and not be bothered by the kids, while trying to focus on something.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%