Pull Apart Cupcake Cake

Baking By ZlatkaT Updated 11 Jan 2010 , 7:18pm by sambugjoebear

ZlatkaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZlatkaT Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 1:04am
post #1 of 4

I am new to cupcake baking, and would love to try "pull apart cupcake cake".
Do I need to level (cut the dome) of my cupcakes to achieve nice flat surface or should I add a lot of icing to cover the cupcake's domes? Will the icing go into the spaces between the cupcakes and make my surface "bumpy"? I am planning to add FBCT on top, that's why I am concerned about the surface, and also I would like to fill the cupcakes but am not sure of cutting the domes out.
I read the post of Bettercreme and it sounds deli sh, would that icing be good with CCC or it is mostly for decorating cupcakes individually?
Thank You!

3 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 3:25am
post #2 of 4

No, you do not level the cupcakes. Place the cupcakes as close together as possible, securing to the cake board with a dab of buttercream. Frost the top smooth and then decorate as if it were the top of a sheet cake.

I cannot comment on Bettercreme as I do not use it nor do I eat it.

ZlatkaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZlatkaT Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 5:06pm
post #3 of 4

Thank you for your respond, I just can't picture flat surface with domed cupcakes. I will need probably to put a lot of BC icing on top.

sambugjoebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sambugjoebear Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 7:18pm
post #4 of 4

I read somewhere on here awhile back about just putting the foil cupcake liners in a regular cake pan then fill the liners with batter. When the batter rises up during baking the tops should touch to give you more of a smooth surface to work with and to prevent "heaping" amounts of BC inbetween the cupcakes and on top of them. I think you might have to fill them a little more than 1/2 way though in order for this to work.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%