Wedding Cake Table

Decorating By boxerbabe Updated 10 Jan 2010 , 11:31pm by Lorieann55

boxerbabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boxerbabe Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 8:59pm
post #1 of 11

I just wanted to start a discussion on the cake table.

This was my 1st. wedding cake for profit. I made 12 iris'es from gumpaste. About 20 forget me nots, cut out about a dozen or so wafer paper butterflys. Dont forget the 3 tiers of cake from scratch covered in fondant I'd guess easily 100 hours of work.

I thought I should take the pictures when I dropped it off at the venu.It was an outdoor reception.How could I get a better background for my work of art..right? Well the cake table consisted of a card table shoved up aginst the dirty siding of the house with a huge orange extention cord right above it. I did my best to crop out the cord but nothing I could do about the siding.

Can someone make me a sugestion? Would it be in bad taste to take some kind of backdrop with me just in case or should I just always take my pictures at home. icon_cry.gif

10 replies
jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 9:27pm
post #2 of 11

I wouldn't take a backdrop with me. Just take a picture at home and another one when the cake is delivered. It is a pretty good habit to get into doing anyway.

luv2bake4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake4u Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 9:46pm
post #3 of 11

I think that would be frustrating. You would hate for the crappy table to take away from your piece of art. I wonder if some cake decorators bring their own table and covering in case if something like that were to happen. I delivered my first 2 tiered cake the other day. The table was covered nicely but it was huge. I felt like my small cake got lost in this huge table. I wish I would have maybe brought a stand/decorations to put it on to make it more presentable. But then I was like, "Is it the bride who is ultimately responsible for the overall look?" In my case I felt it could have been presented better, I kind of left frustrated as well,,but in both our cases we have to feel good that we held up to our bargain and gave them a great cake... thumbs_up.gif

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 9:57pm
post #4 of 11

I've gotten in the habit of phoning the venue the Monday before I deliver the cake to ask about the cake table.

Some things I ask are....

Will the table be set up and draped with a cloth by xx a.m./p.m.?
Where will the table be located?
What is the size/shape table?
Can the table support at least 75lbs?

I have alleviated a lot of problems by doing this ahead of time. When I first started out I remember getting to a venue and nobody could tell me where the cake was going. There was no table set up and everyone was confused as to where to even find a table.

That's when I implemented the "phone on Monday" thing.

LKing12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LKing12 Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 9:59pm
post #5 of 11

I remind my bride that she should be aware of what is behind the cake table so the pictures will be nice.

Lorieann55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lorieann55 Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 10:20pm
post #6 of 11

Taking pictures at home is always a good idea.

Taking pictures after the cake is set up is a good idea in case something happens to the cake after you leave. You'll have proof it was in good shape at the time of delivery.

Maybe they planned on moving the table. Did it have a cloth or anything?
I think I would have inquired about moving the table, at least for your pictures.

Let's see your cake..... sounds beautiful.

boxerbabe Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 3:17am
post #7 of 11

Thank you all so mutch for your feedback and for the great ideas.
LL

luv2bake4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake4u Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 3:31am
post #8 of 11

That is a lovely cake

boxerbabe Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 6:47pm
post #9 of 11

sorry for the giant cake what I ment to do is make a link you click on to see my cake this is what it did instad.

kerri729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerri729 Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 8:19pm
post #10 of 11

It's a beautiful cake!! I am with dkelly, I call and ask the same questions, especially if it's large cake. I know I have done several cakes that a card table would never hold up to. If it's a family event that I will be attending and I am not confident there will be a sturdy table, I will bring one of my own along with table cloth or material to drape and decorate. The best one I have ever been to was my most recent, where the cake table was a nice round table that would seat about 8 people, they had it draped with cloth, and blue tull to match the cake, then had a long rectangular table attached to it, so I had a place to set the cut pieces of cake- talk about consideration for the cake lady! icon_surprised.gif

Lorieann55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lorieann55 Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 11:31pm
post #11 of 11

Oh, that's very pretty! I love Iris, and yours look like they were just plucked from the garden! And the butterflies..... brought a smile to my face. I can imagine them flitting about, landing here and there among the flowers.

Thank you for that little touch of Spring!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%