How Do I Make Deep Red Not To Turn Burgundy

Decorating By Liz1951 Updated 13 Jan 2010 , 12:53pm by Julisa

Liz1951 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Liz1951 Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 4:30pm
post #1 of 6

I'm trying to achieve a deep red without it turning burgundy. I start off with a lot of no taste red, then add a little black. It turned out a pretty color, but more of a burgundy then the deep red I'm trying to get. Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong? Thanks so much.

5 replies
Julisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Julisa Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 5:02pm
post #2 of 6

Are you coloring BC or fondan? If it's fondant color some red and some black. Make sure each is the right color. Red is RED not pinish red, and Black is BLACK not greyish black. Pinch off a bit of each and start adding the black little by little untill you get the right color. If it's BC your tinting. Put a little of what you have in a seperate bowl and add more black. So you'll have an idea of how much black color you'll have to add to the whole batch with out over mixing your icing. You could also mix each seperately also. I was using Satin Ice Fondant, so I just bought both red and black precolored. I used a postage scale to weigh out the ratio I needed before doing the big batch. A good tool to have is a color weel. I bought one at Office Depot in the drafting area and then bought color chart with a plastic "measuring" spoon (looks like ruller with cups ranging in from size A to I ) used to mix polymer clay. This I found at Hobby lobby in the clay area.
Hope that helps..Sorry so long.

Liz1951 Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 1:02am
post #3 of 6

Thanks neighbor. I live in Lumberton which is in southeast TX. Are you enjoying this unusual cold weather? Thanks for all the tips on the red icing. I failed to mention that I was talking about BC. I've never used Satin Ice. I'll remember that the next time. I do mix the icing separately then slowly add until I get the color I want. Getting the right shade of red is the biggest challenge for me. It always turns burgundy. I was wondering if another color along with the black would do the trick. I'll play around with it again and keep trying. Thanks again for all the tips and stay warm.

designer3941 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
designer3941 Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 1:37am
post #4 of 6

I have recently found after adding little blue I can get the deep red I was aiming for. Good luck! icon_smile.gif

Liz1951 Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 3:03pm
post #5 of 6

do you add blue and black or just the blue to the red? I have a little BC left, I think I'll try that. Thanks a bunch.

Julisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Julisa Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 12:53pm
post #6 of 6

No. Not loving the cold weather. It would be fine if my employer allowed us to run the heater. He turns it completely off at night, along with the water. When we get there at 7:30 it's 54 degrees in the building with NO HOT water to wash hands with after we go to the bathroom. UGGGG!

Good luck on your coloring.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%