How To Go About Cutting Cake With Dummy Cakes?

Decorating By helen3743 Updated 9 Jan 2010 , 6:24am by helen3743

helen3743 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
helen3743 Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 6:45am
post #1 of 7

Hey CC'ers,

So I'm planning on making a 3 tier dummy cake for my friend's wedding and having sheet cakes in the back.

What do people normally do for when the bride and groom cutting the cake when it's a dummy cake?

Do they have the first bottom two tiers styrofoam, and the top tier real cake so they have something to cut into? But then I was thinking isn't it the norm to cut into the bottom layer and not the top? But how does this work with dummy cakes?

Any thoughts would be very appreciated!!! =]

6 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 7:42am
post #2 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by helen3743

So I'm planning on making a 3 tier dummy cake for my friend's wedding and having sheet cakes in the back.

Not to rain on your parade, but most members feel that decorating dummy tiers and making edible sheet cakes is MORE work than just making & decorating an edible wedding cake. (Most members charge 2/3 of their usual pricing for dummy cakes because the labor/decorating time is the same.)

Quote:

What do people normally do for when the bride and groom cutting the cake when it's a dummy cake?

Remove a pie shaped wedge from the dummy and insert an edible slice of cake. Just be sure to "mark" the spot unobtrusively so the B&G know where to cut.

Quote:

Do they have the first bottom two tiers styrofoam, and the top tier real cake so they have something to cut into? But then I was thinking isn't it the norm to cut into the bottom layer and not the top? But how does this work with dummy cakes?

Any tier can be edible or dummy, depends on how much actual edible cake you need.

HTH

helen3743 Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 7:11pm
post #3 of 7

Thank you so much JanH!

Everything you said makes sense.....

(Yeah, unfortunately I have to make a dummy cake & sheet cakes this time for complicated but boring to explain reasons.)

Um, I have one more question,
I heard it's customary that the bride and groom cut the cake from one of the bottom tiers for the cutting the cake.. ceremony?. I don't know what the proper term is.. but
If I have a pie shaped wedge from the dummy to be filled with real cake like you suggested, in a bottom tier, do I still need a support system?

Or can I just stack the rest of the styrofoam tiers on top of the bottom dummy tier with a pie wedge of real cake....

Thank you again! Inputs are really appreciated

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 9:01pm
post #4 of 7

Another option to cutting the dummy is just have a small square of cake on a plate or a napkin behind the dummy cake. Or they can have a friend holding it out to the side (just make sure it's not in the photos.) They only need to pose, holding the knife like they are getting ready to cut the cake, for the photographer. THen just lay the knife down, pick up the pre-cut piece of cake sitting behind the cake, and feed each other. Just a 2" square will be more than plenty for photo op purposes.

Seriously, I"m not going to hack up a styrofoam cake then try to fit real cake in there for anyone. If they choose a full styrofoam cake, then to me they have to make some compromises that go along with their choices.

Literally, they can't have their (fake) cake and eat it, too! icon_biggrin.gif

idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 9:23pm
post #5 of 7

I see a couple choices for you.
1 - make the bottom tier real, so they can cut into it. Use that (or not) to serve from and also how every many sheel cakes you need.
2 - make the whole cake dummy and like Indy says, have a small cake behide the dummy or off to the side for the bride and groom to cut and serve to each other.
3 - I think the idea of cutting a wedge out of the dummy to fit in a piece of real cake is possible but way more work than I'm interested in.

I personally would rather decorate a XX tier dummy cake and make sheet cakes to serve. That's my personal opinion only.
Good luck!

HarleyDee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HarleyDee Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 11:02pm
post #6 of 7

I'm with indydebi, I would just have a piece on a plate ready to go after the "cutting" picture. Cutting out a wedge from the dummy and all that is just way more work than it's worth.

helen3743 Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 6:24am
post #7 of 7

Hmm... I'm going to talk to my friend/bride and figure things out.. Hopefully she'll be on board with option #2----

Thank you for all the advice!
You guys are the best! =]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%