Best Place To Buy Cake Dummies & Question About Wedding

Decorating By iris219 Updated 5 Jan 2015 , 5:44pm by annhitchens

iris219 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iris219 Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 2:31am
post #1 of 23

I have been asked to make my very first wedding cake and I'm so excited that the bride would ask me to make her cake. This will be my very first wedding cake and hope it won't be the last. I will have plenty of practice since the wedding is a year and 1/2 away.

I would like to build up some portfolio of wedding cakes and want to know where is the best place to buy these cake dummies that I've seen mentioned on here. Is it best to have multiple cake dummies? My intent is to make a cake dummy take plenty of pictures and start all over again with different colors and design. And hopefully not giving the butter cream or fondant any time to get rock solid hard so I can clean and reuse again. Where can I buy those beautiful silver cake trays that have been used to place the cakes on....these give the cake such an elegant look, that I really like.

How easy is it to clean off these cake dummies? I have brought Linda McClare's DVD for using gumpaste with the cricut machine, (which I already have and just love for my cards but now will also be able to used to help decorate cakes) I have purchased a few silicone molds as well, so I think I have a good amount of supplies to get started.... all except these dummy cakes.

I would appreciate any feedback on these cake dummies as well as any help, advise, comments etc. on the wedding cakes. Since this is my first wedding cake would like to know all the does and don'ts. Thank you.

22 replies
pinkbox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkbox Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 2:57am
post #2 of 23

The best place to get cake dummies is http://www.dallas-foam.com/store/ the prices are great... shipping reasonable... and you receive it quickly. They have a great variety.

Unless you have a local cake shop that carries them... then support your local business.

As for reusing them over and over... wrap in saran wrap... then cover in fondant or ice in buttercream.

Hope that helps.

PS... Congrats on your first wedding cake order icon_smile.gif

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 3:03am
post #3 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkbox

The best place to get cake dummies is http://www.dallas-foam.com/store/ the prices are great... shipping reasonable... and you receive it quickly. They have a great variety.

I just got some from them and they are the best and have excellent customer service!!! icon_smile.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 3:12am
post #4 of 23

Yeah their prices are amazing.... just put in an order yesterday.

MainCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MainCake Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 3:18am
post #5 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeandpartygirl

Quote:

I just got some from them and they are the best and have excellent customer service!!! icon_smile.gif

Me too! Literally, they just arrived yesterday. They are awesome! I ordered them from Ebay. They were $11 for a full set of 5. I got a set of squares and a set of rounds. My only complaint - and it's minor - is the shipping was as much as the cost of the dummies. I ordered both sets at the same time and paid, I think, $10.95 or $10.50 per set. They were shipped in the same box so I kinda feel like I got jipped on shipping since I paid for them separately and the dang things are light as a feather. Anyway, I justified it as the dummies were so inexpensive, even with the shipping, still extremely reasonable. Especially since I've been on my husband's case for years to help me 'build' some. LOL. I do highly recommend.

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 3:24am
post #6 of 23
Quote:

Quote:

Thank you for the info. I also wondering where I could get reasonably priced cake dummies. Lord knows...I need to practice more icon_lol.gificon_redface.gif

pinkbox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkbox Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 3:32am
post #7 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvallee

Quote:

Quote:

Me too! Literally, they just arrived yesterday. They are awesome! I ordered them from Ebay. They were $11 for a full set of 5.

If you order directly from dallas foam, I think they do it a bit differenly... the cost of the dummies is from the bulkiness and not so much as the weight...

Good luck... cant wait to see all the wonderful "practice" wedding cake pix you post on CC icon_smile.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 5:17am
post #8 of 23

..moving to Cake Decorating. icon_smile.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 5:18am
post #9 of 23

..moving to Cake Decorating. icon_smile.gif

iris219 Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 12:14pm
post #10 of 23

What is the best height for a wedding cake? I've seen those package pan cakes that sell in Michaels or AC Moore that are either 3 or 4 pans in a pack in different shapes but how tall should each cake layer be? Should they be 2, 3 or 4 inches high per layer? I believe the bride will have close to 350 people (both her parents have a huge family not sure about the grooms side), what would be the best size cake 4 tier or bigger? Sorry for all the questions but as you can see I am really new to this and want to make sure I order the dummies just the same way I will be making the cakes.

niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 12:36pm
post #11 of 23

wedding cakes are typically 4" tall

All of my cakes for any occasion is typically 3 3/4"-5" tall

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 4:43pm
post #12 of 23

I love http://www.guildcraftfurniture.com/cake_dummies.html I beleive the only reason I switched to them is because of their location, the shipping was much cheaper and quicker than Dallas since I am in Virginia. But its the location that made the difference for me.

Smallfrye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smallfrye Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 5:00pm
post #13 of 23

I like http://www.taylorfoam.com/taylorfoam_com/cakedummies/

You can get a set of 5 round size 14", 12", 10", 8", 6" for $14.95 and their shipping is resonable and fast. They have different shapes and sizes in sets or individuals.

Lita829 Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 5:04pm
post #14 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by icingimages

I love http://www.guildcraftfurniture.com/cake_dummies.html I beleive the only reason I switched to them is because of their location, the shipping was much cheaper and quicker than Dallas since I am in Virginia. But its the location that made the difference for me.

Thank you for this info! I live in PA so this is A LOT closer. I placed an order last night with Dallas Foam and their prices are awesome but shipping was actually more than my order. I undertand that is because of the size of package and the distance, though. Next time I'll try this company.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 5:55pm
post #15 of 23

Also, if you live by Las Vegas, check out Chef Rubber. Three sets of four is only about $20.

iris219 Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 7:22pm
post #16 of 23

[quote="Lita829"]

Quote:

Thank you for this info! I live in PA so this is A LOT closer. I placed an order last night with and their prices are awesome but shipping was actually more than my order. I undertand that is because of the size of package and the distance, though. Next time I'll try this company.

Whats the name of the company it came out "blocked" Would like to know. Thanks.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 10:52pm
post #17 of 23

I'll second guildcraftfurniture.com

I ordered 9 large dummies. They came packed in a double walled box with the most wonderful packing--pieces of soft, clean furniture foam that I can re-use. Not one dinged edge on any of the dummies.

Their customer service was excellent and shipping was very quick & reasonable. Average cost for each dummy, including shipping, was just under $5.

Rae

Lita829 Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 11:18pm
post #18 of 23

[quote="iris219"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lita829

Quote:

Thank you for this info! I live in PA so this is A LOT closer. I placed an order last night with and their prices are awesome but shipping was actually more than my order. I undertand that is because of the size of package and the distance, though. Next time I'll try this company.

Whats the name of the company it came out "blocked" Would like to know. Thanks.

The company's name is Dallas Foam. The website is www.dallas-foam.com

iris219 Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 11:21pm
post #19 of 23

Thank you Lita829.

I just placed an order with them guiltcraftfurniture so hope to hear regarding my order.

Thank you everyone for your help.

Lita829 Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 11:36pm
post #20 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by iris219

Thank you Lita829.

I just placed an order with them guiltcraftfurniture so hope to hear regarding my order.

Thank you everyone for your help.

You're Welcome! Just sharing what was shared with me icon_smile.gif

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 2:13am
post #21 of 23

Get this...
I just bought 2-10", 4-8". and 4-6", all 4" high and with shipping I only paid $27.73

Shipping was only $4.95, they base it on how much you spend rather than weight, size, etc.
I got the order in 3 days!
www.plasteelcorp.com
I will definately be doing business with them again!

LouiseS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LouiseS Posted 31 Oct 2013 , 8:56am
post #22 of 23

Hello. I am new to this site but I sware by https://www.facebook.com/pages/Polystyrene-cake-dummies-wwwchrissycraft-ukcom/602813349765179. or at there web site which is www.chrissycraft-uk.com. They can make anything you want and are pretty much the best in the UK for what they do, there always bussy and no bad press. tc

annhitchens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annhitchens Posted 5 Jan 2015 , 5:44pm
post #23 of 23

I can definitely recommend BuyFoamBlocks.com. They sell a box of 13 cylinders (multiple sizes) for $85.  Super sturdy, easy to clean/reuse and super fast shipping. Check these guys out if you haven't already!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%