Can Anyone Recommend A Good/cheap Airbrush Kit?

Decorating By lauralee422 Updated 11 Mar 2010 , 7:01pm by kafa

lauralee422 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lauralee422 Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 12:13am
post #1 of 19

I decorate cakes on the side.. I still consider myself very much a beginner. I'd say these days I do about 1 a month or so, more or less depending on who's having bdays when.. but everyone that buys always says they'll do for thier other kids, etc. So I think I should invest but wanted to keep it under 75 or the most $100. Can anyone recommend anything for me?

As usual, thanks to all of your talented people!

18 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 12:22am
post #2 of 19

..moving to Cake Decorating. icon_smile.gif

cookiemama2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemama2 Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 12:41am
post #3 of 19

I can't help but I'm interested to. I was checking at Michaels on the weekend but I'm not sure what to look for either. A friend of my husband bought one there and likes it but he uses it for paint and I couldn't figure out which one he was talking about when I went to look. He figures what he bought will work for food color.

PatricesPieces Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PatricesPieces Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 12:45am
post #4 of 19

There are some great deals you can get on ebay. I bought mine on ebay and it was really inexpensive. Here is a link to one I found today. It's $71.00 if you buy it now. It includes everything you need including the air compressor. There are several more, just put Cake decorating air brush in your search.

http://cgi.ebay.com/CAKE-DECORATING-AIRBRUSH-KIT-Food-Color-Air-Compressor_W0QQitemZ220537251151QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item33590b654f

I hope this helps. Good luck!!

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 12:47am
post #5 of 19

Michaels has an airbrush gun that will work with the cans of air. I purchased the gun (reg $35) and can (reg $25) for 50% off. It is great for the person who does not do a lot of airbrushing.

lauralee422 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lauralee422 Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 12:53am
post #6 of 19

thanks so much all.. i actually just put a bid on the one serenatea just put a link to... i bid $50 hopefully they take it!! I am so excited! Thanks a bunch. If I don't get the bid I'll just keep looking, from what i saw ebay has a ton.

Jaimelt76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jaimelt76 Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 12:53am
post #7 of 19

I bought my first airbrush and compressor from Harbor Freight and it cost around 75 with the shipping. It was good enough to start with but would not spray any luster dust or the lucks silver. When that one broke I went to NAPA auto parts store( closest Michaels is an hour and half away) and bought a paasche easy starter set for under 30 and love it. I can spray anything through it.
I am a hobby baker as well and could not see spending a lot on one if I did not like it and I do not do a lot of cakes. HTH

elliebuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elliebuff Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 1:18am
post #8 of 19

I don't need it often enough to make the larger investment, so I use the spray cans of coloring from Wilton. There is some limitation to the colors, but they work really well in general.

I have a stupid question about the Harbor Freight and Michaels stuff...are those food safe? I only ask because I make jewelry too and I buy some stuff from HF for metal manufacturing and that doesn't seem like a place you could find something that was safe to use on food. I don't know much about airbrush machines, though, so maybe as long as the tubing and wand are food safe, that's all that matters?

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 4:09pm
post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsilvest

Michaels has an airbrush gun that will work with the cans of air. I purchased the gun (reg $35) and can (reg $25) for 50% off. It is great for the person who does not do a lot of airbrushing.

What department in the store is this? Do you remember the brand?
can you use the pearlized stuff with this? Lately, I have been seeing a lot of beautiful cakes that are sprayed with pearl and love the look.

Thanks so much!

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 4:27pm
post #10 of 19

Paint dept with the rest of the airbrush items. My prices were also Canadian, US prices are usually cheaper.

cookiemama2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemama2 Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 6:07pm
post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaranne

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsilvest

What department in the store is this? Do you remember the brand?
can you use the pearlized stuff with this? Lately, I have been seeing a lot of beautiful cakes that are sprayed with pearl and love the look.

Thanks so much!

Do you remember the brand? That is a great price, I'm just a "for fun" baker and I don't want to spend a lot.

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 6:24pm
post #12 of 19

I have this one and like it a lot. I think you have to get the brush separate, don't remember. I don't feel like I need to upgrade it or anything, this one will last me for years. THe only thing is i wish it had a holster.

http://www.airbrushcity.com/144AC.htm

saycheese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saycheese Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 6:31pm
post #13 of 19

okay...this might be a dumb question...but since i don't have one, maybe not...
can you use just any old airbrush machine? They're not specially made for cake decorating? As long as it's new? Hmmm...
thanks.

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 6:41pm
post #14 of 19

I'm curious about the ? saycheese ^^^ asked. If you buy one at a hardware store, is it made of food safe materials?

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 7:10pm
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by saycheese

can you use just any old airbrush machine? They're not specially made for cake decorating? As long as it's new? Hmmm...
thanks.

The airbrush compressor just compresses air. The brush attachment should be new, that's what holds the food color. Don't think about using your DH's compressor that he uses to paint the house. Max PSI for a cake is about 18-20 PSI.

saycheese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saycheese Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 7:14pm
post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinygoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by saycheese

thanks.

The airbrush compressor just compresses air. The brush attachment should be new, that's what holds the food color. Don't think about using your DH's compressor that he uses to paint the house. Max PSI for a cake is about 18-20 PSI.

Thanks!
And now I'm picturing someone blowing a cake across the room with a higher powered air compressor. A needed chuckle! icon_lol.gif

Debi2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debi2 Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 6:19pm
post #17 of 19

You could use your husbands compressor if he has one, provided it can be adjusted to the lower psi needed for cake decorating.

akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 6:35pm
post #18 of 19

DH bought me a compressor for Christmas, then I bought a nice airbrush set at Michaels. they let me use a coupon too, so instead of $100 it was sixty bucks!

kafa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%