Cake Boards

Decorating By Donnawb Updated 8 Jan 2010 , 4:44am by countrycaker

Donnawb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnawb Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 5:30pm
post #1 of 8

What does everyone use for the cute cake boards they decorate to match their cakes? What is the acutal board.....styrofoam, cardboard? I'm just a hobby baker for friends and family, and have just started doing this. The cardboard cake boards that are sold at craft stores don't seem thick enough to put a ribbon around the base. I'm looking for someting inexpensive. Thanks!

7 replies
_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 5:36pm
post #2 of 8

There should also be, right around the same section, foil covered drums, which 1/2 inch thick. I use those sometimes, or cut them from 1/2 inch foam core, or order sturdier ones from cake supply websites. For heavier or more delicate designed cakes, I cut masonite, cover with fondant or butcher paper and decorate from there.

countrycaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrycaker Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 6:00pm
post #3 of 8

Here's a good tutorial for making your own cake boards:

juststarted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juststarted Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 9:56pm
post #4 of 8

The link posted by countrycaker is really neat. To get those professional look you can Cover a board in fondant and here is a link for that:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/extra-icing/sets/72157594575839118

Chippi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chippi Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 10:02pm
post #5 of 8

Most use foamboard you can get it at Hobby lobby or Michaels although I always get mine at HL. HTH icon_smile.gif

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 10:11pm
post #6 of 8

I heard you can also buy foamboard at Staples pretty cheap.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 10:26pm
post #7 of 8

I use foamboard. Cut it with a sharp box cutter. The box cutter I use is shaped like a pocketknife and easier to use than the regular kind. When the blade is fresh, it cuts foamboard like butter. I use the 1/4" thick kind, and will glue two thicknesses together for a tiered cake. I cover it with fondant by rolling the fondant directly on the board and then using stamps or cutters to make a texture on the fondant, then highlight the impressions with luster dust. Glue the ribbon on with Tacky glue. If the board is thicker than your ribbon, glue on two layers, overlapping to the right height. That always comes out looking just fine. I know some people use double sided tape for the ribbon, or straight pins.

Here's a board that I did that way:
You can use rubber stamps to make the impressions on the fondant on the board but not on fondant that will be eaten. For things that will be eaten, use the clear plastic stamps to make impressions icon_biggrin.gif

countrycaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrycaker Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 4:44am
post #8 of 8

Very pretty cake board, Texas Rose!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%