Gerberra's

Decorating By MissCakeCrazy Updated 7 Jan 2010 , 10:16pm by all4cake

MissCakeCrazy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissCakeCrazy Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 4:16pm
post #1 of 11

I have been reading the tutorials on the links in the forum and i would like to know what you can use instead if you don't have a flower former to sit the gerberra on. Also, is it very necessary for you to have a small daisy cutter too )for the inside). Also, the tutorial did not wire this flower. Are they usually non wired due to the heaviness? How would you place on a cake or on the sides of a cake?

10 replies
Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 8:49pm
post #2 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissCakeCrazy

I have been reading the tutorials on the links in the forum and i would like to know what you can use instead if you don't have a flower former to sit the gerberra on. Also, is it very necessary for you to have a small daisy cutter too )for the inside). Also, the tutorial did not wire this flower. Are they usually non wired due to the heaviness? How would you place on a cake or on the sides of a cake?

Do you have rippled foam? )It's rather the same as the foam mattresses, etc.) If not, you can usually buy it in a fabric store. That is a wonderful flower former and can be used for many types of flowers, not just daises.
If you wire the flower, you use about four stems and wrap them as one so that you have the weight you need to support the flower. Otherwise, if you are just attaching it to the sides of a cake, you can use melted chocolate or royal icing. I cut circles, then used tiny scissors to make fringed cuts which is much like a gerbera. The next ring out, I used a small flower cutter, but it is just a scalloped cutter, not necessarily a daisy cutter. I am adding the link to my gerberas which might help a bit.
[url]
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1470778[/url]

MissCakeCrazy Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 8:54pm
post #3 of 11

Can egg boxes be used instead or are they too small?

Should I attach the gerbera's wth RI at the venue or at home?

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 9:04pm
post #4 of 11

You can also make formers by putting foil over a muffin tin and then pushing it partway into each muffin cup so that your flowers have the curve that you want. You can use heavy duty foil, a couple thicknesses and make a former that you can take off the muffin tin and set on the counter, or use regular foil and leave it on the muffin tin until your flowers are dry.

Win Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 9:08pm
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

You can also make formers by putting foil over a muffin tin and then pushing it partway into each muffin cup so that your flowers have the curve that you want. You can use heavy duty foil, a couple thicknesses and make a former that you can take off the muffin tin and set on the counter, or use regular foil and leave it on the muffin tin until your flowers are dry.

egg cartons are too narrow, but if you could find apple or orange cartons in your grocer, they would be wider and good for use as a flower former. The only problem with foil and gerberas is that it won't support the petals. They want to break at their base. Foil and muffin tins are great for other flowers, but does not support the weight of a gerbera.

Win Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 9:11pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissCakeCrazy

Can egg boxes be used instead or are they too small?

Should I attach the gerbera's wth RI at the venue or at home?

I used melted white chocolate and attached them at home. It's a small cake, but I traveled in a car to deliver it and they never budged. If you have a larger cake you might want to wait until you get to the venue. If doing so, I think the royal option would be fine. If they are weighty, you need to make sure you hold each one securly until you know the RI is set. As well, I'd make a thicker than normal RI to adhere. My gerberas were surprisingly heavy when finished.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 9:13pm
post #7 of 11

I've used foil and it works fine for me icon_biggrin.gif Not all foil is equal though, I know reynolds is thicker than the walmart kind.

Win Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 9:22pm
post #8 of 11

True that, and I use foil and muffin pans for other flowers, but my smallest gerbera cutter is 3" and go up from there. If one is using a Wilton cutter which is much smaller, the foil technique would probably work just fine. icon_biggrin.gif

jodibug0975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jodibug0975 Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 9:52pm
post #9 of 11

Apple/Orange cartons are a great idea! I need to find a way to snag me some of those! My daughter works in a grocery store..... icon_wink.gif

MissCakeCrazy Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 10:06pm
post #10 of 11

How would you place the gerbera on the former if you wanted it wired?

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 10:16pm
post #11 of 11

I use foil suspended over various-sized muffin tins(from mini cupcake to oversized(4") muffin)....and dimpled/recessed to varying levels...dusted with cornstarch. If I want more 'movement' to the flower, I simply manipulate the foil into a few ripples...I've not had any issues yet

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%