Need To Rant To Put This Behind Me. . .

Decorating By sheilabelle Updated 7 Jan 2010 , 4:48am by alene

sheilabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilabelle Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 1:42pm
post #1 of 19

The beginning of Dec. I had a friend ask if I would help her make a cake for her other friends birthday. I agreed because she is a friend. She offered to pay for the ingredients. I agreed to this. It started out that I was just going to make the fondant (MFF) and she would make the cakes. Well, she need to borrow my pans and wanted the recipe that I use.

I didn't want to loan out my pans in case I need them in the meantime and I don't like to give out my recipes for cake (kind of like my special secret (I know, not very giving of me)). So, I made the cakes (6", 8", 10", 12"). She wanted a modeled top of her friend scrapbooking. I did this and was paid for it.

She came over one day and I had the buttercream made, assembled the cakes, and covered them in fondant. She helped dye the fondant and apply the accents. She did pay me for the ingredients, which I did agree to. She later tells people (my mother-in-law works with her) that she made the cakes and I helped.

I know it it just a matter of words, but this burns my butt. It sounds as though I was the one assisting! Here is an attached pict. of the cakes. Thanks for listening. Hopefully I can now let this go and move on.

18 replies
sheilabelle Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 1:48pm
post #2 of 19

Sorry, can't get the pict. onto the post. Here is a link.

C:\\Users\\Pink\\Pictures\\Sheila's cakes\\100_3730.JPG

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 1:48pm
post #3 of 19

It seems like every time someone helps a friend make a cake, the friend ends up taking all the credit. I think for a non-cake person to work on a big cake seems like so much work that they end up feeling like they did everything, because they have no idea how much work goes into a cake.

I wouldn't worry about it...next time she wants to work on a cake together, be too busy. Then when she can't make something as nice as she can with your help, the difference will be kind of obvious to everyone icon_biggrin.gif

sheilabelle Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 1:59pm
post #4 of 19

Thanks Texas Rose. The really hard part is that we have been really good friends for about 8 years and I haven't really heard from her since the cake was done. That's what hurts the most.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 2:07pm
post #5 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

I think for a non-cake person to work on a big cake seems like so much work that they end up feeling like they did everything, because they have no idea how much work goes into a cake.

I think this hits the nail on the head.

It's like the employee who thinks that what they do is all that the boss knows. So they go around telling everyone "I can do everything he can do ... I could do his job!"

Hey, little employee ... everything YOU know is NOT everything *I* know! icon_twisted.gif

Hey friend ... everything YOU did on this cake is NOT everything that needs done to make a cake! icon_twisted.gif

MalibuBakinBarbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 2:15pm
post #6 of 19

Oh I can see how this would upset you, and I'm sorry that a friend did this to you. However! ~ Just wait until people start asking her for cakes she lacks the skills (and recipes!) to make! icon_wink.gif

sheilabelle Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 2:41pm
post #7 of 19

Thanks everyone for the support. I felt like I was being petty. Maybe I am, but I am now going to let it go. Thanks again. CCer's are the BEST!!!!!!!

jo_ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jo_ann Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 2:56pm
post #8 of 19

My son's girlfriend did that to me, I just shake my head. It was a 3 tier mario bros cake for my dgs. I bake, covered it in fondant, & stacked it. I gave her the fondant and tools to put the side decos on it. She called 10 times for directions on what she had to do. And then when asked on facebook if she made the cake, she said, "Yes, she did". LOL.

Next time she can do it from the get go and buy the supplies.

txnonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txnonnie Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 3:05pm
post #9 of 19

I made a cake for my friends daughter's birthday. The girls did assist with the process. However at the party a gentleman asked who make the cake and the reply was "(girl's name) did" with a big beaming smile. Later my husband ask me if I heard it. And of course I did. Doesn't say much for me when a 8 year old received all the credit.

I feel your pain...but it does go away in time. Hang in there and keep your chin up.

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 3:06pm
post #10 of 19

I've seen a few posts like this and now I know that when someone asks me to 'help' them with a cake I will be WAY too busy. I'm sure your friend thought that that stacked fondant covered cake just appeared in your kitchen when you waved your magic cake-lady wand. In her mind she probably DID make that whole cake. People are kind of oblivious like that. I wouldn't throw your friendship away over it. Just chalk it up to a lesson learned. Sorry this happened to you. icon_rolleyes.gif

jo_ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jo_ann Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 3:17pm
post #11 of 19

Now I have friend who I "help" make her cakes for her family. She can't afford my prices but is willing to put in the hard work.
She buys all the ingredients, comes here and does everything from beginning to end. All I do is give her instructions on how to achieve something. To tell the truth she's a natural, her cakes come out awesome.
I told her if she ever went into the cake business, she could be some serious competiton for me.
She said, "No, we'd work together, not against each other, that's what friends do;"
She's the type of friend everyone needs, very kind, helpful and sweet.

Jo-Ann

jodibug0975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jodibug0975 Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 3:27pm
post #12 of 19

Yep, happened to me only it was someone I didn't even like. A co-worker who I have argued with manyyyyy times and knows that I really, really dislike her.

She asked me to make a Sponge Bob cake for her son's birthday. I told her that I could not (both for trademark/liscensing reasons plus I didn't think I was ready to make a good character reproduction) but that I had been wanting to make a cheeseburger cake. So if she would want to put a Sponge Bob toy on top of a "Krabby Patty" then I could do that.

Making that cake was a nightmare. I didn't put any support in it and it was the first time I had a cake fall. I had to pick up the top two layers and move then (with several spatulas and DH's help) while I re-built the bottom bun.

For some reason my lettuce (green buttercream) bled all over the cake and the cheese fondant. My BC had never bled before and never has since.... but this was really bad. So I cleaned it up as best I could and re-did the fondant cheese.

There were some other minor problems also, but I can't remember all of them. All togehter I spent about six hours decorating and fixing (on top of the baking time).

Delivered it to my co-worker, who stuck a Sponge Bob toy on top of it that she had gotten at Burger King. She then took a bunch of pics to work and told everyone we made it together. Then the story evolved to "Jodi started it and then I finished it".

Yep, wanted to strangle her. Had the cake not been for her kid I probably would have poisoned it anyway. Really can't stand her at all. Never could and this did not help things!

She never did pay me for it either. Her investment in the cake was the Sponge Bob toy from Burger King.

The cake is in my pics. You can still see the green around the bottom from the bleeding buttercream.

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 2:45am
post #13 of 19

I wouldn't take it to heart,for the reasons others have said. She has no idea how much work is involved in the cake even she did. I know how focused we get when we're working on a cake and that's with knowing what our plans are and hopefully knowing what we're doing.... lol I'm guessing she was so very focused on the work she was doing and really was so engrossed in it she probably didn't even realize how much you were in fact doing on it. I'll bet she didn't mean it the way it came out at all.

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 2:48am
post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodibug0975

Yep, happened to me only it was someone I didn't even like. A co-worker who I have argued with manyyyyy times and knows that I really, really dislike her.

She asked me to make a Sponge Bob cake for her son's birthday. I told her that I could not (both for trademark/liscensing reasons plus I didn't think I was ready to make a good character reproduction) but that I had been wanting to make a cheeseburger cake. So if she would want to put a Sponge Bob toy on top of a "Krabby Patty" then I could do that.

Making that cake was a nightmare. I didn't put any support in it and it was the first time I had a cake fall. I had to pick up the top two layers and move then (with several spatulas and DH's help) while I re-built the bottom bun.

For some reason my lettuce (green buttercream) bled all over the cake and the cheese fondant. My BC had never bled before and never has since.... but this was really bad. So I cleaned it up as best I could and re-did the fondant cheese.

There were some other minor problems also, but I can't remember all of them. All togehter I spent about six hours decorating and fixing (on top of the baking time).

Delivered it to my co-worker, who stuck a Sponge Bob toy on top of it that she had gotten at Burger King. She then took a bunch of pics to work and told everyone we made it together. Then the story evolved to "Jodi started it and then I finished it".

Yep, wanted to strangle her. Had the cake not been for her kid I probably would have poisoned it anyway. Really can't stand her at all. Never could and this did not help things!

She never did pay me for it either. Her investment in the cake was the Sponge Bob toy from Burger King.

The cake is in my pics. You can still see the green around the bottom from the bleeding buttercream.

Shame on you. After an experience like that, you make sure everyone knows she helped you, she was the one who got the green around the bottom of the cake....... LOL just kidding, but she'd deserve that.

Mrs-A Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrs-A Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 2:58am
post #15 of 19

omg, you women are scaring me with your stories... how can people be so rude about someone elses hard work & talent. yikes!

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 3:00am
post #16 of 19

The only thing I can add is make sure to tape your business card under the cake so that other people can see it was made by you.

HarleyDee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HarleyDee Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 3:53am
post #17 of 19

Hate that it happened, and it's hard not to feel a little huffy about it.. I would. If she ever calls wanting cake help again, tell her to pay you for ingredients, then hand her the cake layers (baked but not frosted, trimmed or torted) and a bag with MFF in it. Let her go to town and see what she can do.. heh icon_smile.gif

JanJess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanJess Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 4:17am
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodibug0975

Why is it that the ones we really don't want to do always give us the hardest time?????

alene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alene Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 4:48am
post #19 of 19

This has happened to me also. Actually the lady did make the cake but I made a big beautiful bow to go on top and a little fondant figure for her. She took the cake to a public place for the party. She told everyone that she had made it. It upset me but I didn't say anything to her about it. It want happen again......

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%