Gumtex Substitute For Tylose

Decorating By olsen Updated 6 Jan 2010 , 2:40pm by TexasSugar

olsen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
olsen Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 7:31am
post #1 of 4

Hello,

I'm a beginner in cake decorating and want to try gunpaste flowers. Just to ask if i can substitute gumtex from tylose as tylose is not available here. Is it the same quatity if I'm going to substitute it?

Thanks.

3 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 7:45am
post #2 of 4

Yes, you can. icon_smile.gif

Here's a product info page that has gumpaste/fondant additives with descriptions of their use:

http://tinyurl.com/y8swb37

HTH

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 7:49am
post #3 of 4

i teach wilton classes. in course 111. we make the g/p rose.. it says to add 1 teaspoon gumtex to 12 oz. of fondant ...knead this gumtex into the fondant slowly... until incorporated.. then knead and pull and stretch..have some shortening on your hands.. then make several rolls from this.. wrap each roll in saran wrap. and let set up for several hrs..or over nite... that is what i do when i make g/p this way.. using gumtex.. hth

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 2:40pm
post #4 of 4

I like using gum-tex in my fondant to make bow and things. I find it works better for me than using tylose, though I know others will disagree with that.

Now I don't know how it subs in different recipes but mixing it into fondant has worked great for me. You can also look and see if you can find some premade gumpaste.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%