Sad. Angry. Maybe A Little Evil. (A Little Long -Sorry)

Lounge By countrycaker Updated 12 Jan 2010 , 12:51am by Deb_

countrycaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrycaker Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 6:55pm
post #1 of 29

I just need to cry to my cake friends for a few minutes because there's no one else around to lean on at the moment. This morning at 2:30 my husband (the county prosecutor) got a call that a police officer had been shot and killed. My husband and I both went to school with her and my husband has been working with her for the past few years. She has a husband and two kids, one the same age as my daughter.

Another officer had been watching an area for suspicious activity because of recent burglaries and he saw a car leave the area. He radioed for Josie to follow the car, pull it over, and identify the car's occupants. When she approached the car, the driver pulled a rifle and shot her in the neck. He took off and has been hiding from police all morning. I just heard he has been found in a city 120 miles away, cornered in a shed.

This might sound bad, but I hope he either shoots himself or pulls a weapon as he leaves the shed and gets gunned down. He has caused so many people so much grief and I don't want him around dragging through the court system for years, digging up that anguish repeatedly with each court appearance.

Not to mention that it will be my husband that will have to prosecute it, and it would wreak havok on him as well. The shooter is in the country illegally and is a known drug dealer. Is it so wrong to want him off this planet? Sorry so long. I just needed to vent out some emotion.

28 replies
michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 6:59pm
post #2 of 29

I am so sorry that your friend died. I think it is natural to be angry after something like this happens. (((hugs)))

Adevag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adevag Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 7:03pm
post #3 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrycaker

Is it so wrong to want him off this planet? Sorry so long. I just needed to vent out some emotion.

No, it's not so wrong to want him off this planet! It disgusts me how some people have no respect for life.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 7:20pm
post #4 of 29

I am so sorry for the loss of your friend. I also agree that it is not wrong that you feel this way. People grieve differently, and I would probably think the same thoughts as you. Things like that make me so angry.

_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 7:21pm
post #5 of 29

Not at all. There really are crappy ass loser excuses of human beings walking the planet. They don't have the right to breathe oxygen. I say, deprive them of it.

Just relating here, not taking focus off of your story caker, but my uncle was murdered at his home a few months back by some crackheads. It's getting ready to go to trial. One of these guys had a rap sheet 2 pages long before getting to this new charge when you search his name on public records for that county court system.

I've had my shares of run ins with the law in a former life, believe me....but there really is something wrong when people are allowed to offend and reoffend and offend for the 13th, 14th, up to 20th time. And ya know what? Some circumstances of this case....may allow this guy the chance to offend again.

So, caker, go ahead and be pissed, it's part of the process. It's ok. There's time for forgiving if you want....later.

countrycaker Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 8:07pm
post #6 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrycaker

I just heard he has been found in a city 120 miles away, cornered in a shed.

Update: Police teargassed the shed and went in. No one there. Urgh. Now they're thinking maybe he's in the house by the shed. Or maybe he's back to Mexico by now.

jodibug0975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jodibug0975 Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 8:12pm
post #7 of 29

I hope they get him and your hubby puts him away for life (and if that's not a very long time then I'm ok with that too!)

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 8:13pm
post #8 of 29

I am so sorry about your friend.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 8:17pm
post #9 of 29

Illegal. I hope they gun him down. All illegals are allowed to do their jail time and paroled back home, where they what? Yup. Enter the U.S. again to go back to their life of crime. What a waist of money. And this is a fact as I worked corrections as a C.O.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 9:20pm
post #10 of 29

What a horrible story, I'm so sorry about your friend. Her poor family, it's just senseless....

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 1:30am
post #11 of 29

If there has been a fund set up for the police officer's family, please PM me the information so I can make a donation.

countrycaker Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 2:48am
post #12 of 29

Thank you everyone for your words of sympathy and understanding.

prterrell - I will definitely pm you if I hear of where donations are being accepted. I'm sure there will be a fund set up in Josie's name in the next day or two, and I'm sure her family will appreciate your generous kindness.

The shooter has still not been apprehended. He was not in the home where officers thought he was. They are now looking for a second guy as well, not as an accomplice, but as someone who might have info as to where the killer is. This has turned into a statewide manhunt.

I'm still stunned by the whole thing, and very sad - especially for Josie's kids and husband. If anyone's interested in the current news story, here's a link:

www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=9235186

prterrell Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 4:02am
post #13 of 29

countrycaker - I keeping everyone affected by this situation in my prayers. With God's help, they will find the killer and bring him to justice.

AverageMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AverageMom Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 4:28am
post #14 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

Illegal. I hope they gun him down. All illegals are allowed to do their jail time and paroled back home, where they what? Yup. Enter the U.S. again to go back to their life of crime. What a waist of money. And this is a fact as I worked corrections as a C.O.

Ummm....Not really the point here, is it?!!

Country Caker, I'll be sending you some good vibes. I am so sorry about your friend. I hope for everyone involved that they catch the guy.

LaBellaFlor Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 5:21am
post #15 of 29

Nope, but it was my point and how I feel about it. And if you don't like it, I don't really care.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 7:12am
post #16 of 29

I'm so sorry. I'd feel the same way. I'm always relieved when evil people who kill good people are also killed in the process. It saves everyone the misery of a trial, and I think it's the purest form of justice.

I'll remember you and your friend's family in my thoughts.

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 2:27pm
post #17 of 29

I just read the article and am floored that his arrest record goes back to 1992, and he's even spent time in the Utah state pen. I wonder why he was not deported? Also, it is especially sad that the officer was simply walking up to the vehicle and was shot out of nowhere, her gun was in the holster and her flashilght was still in her hand. So sad and senseless.

AverageMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AverageMom Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 2:27pm
post #18 of 29

Please let us know how things are going, and remember to take care of yourself!

LaBellaFlor Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 3:55pm
post #19 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by michellenj

I just read the article and am floored that his arrest record goes back to 1992, and he's even spent time in the Utah state pen. I wonder why he was not deported? Also, it is especially sad that the officer was simply walking up to the vehicle and was shot out of nowhere, her gun was in the holster and her flashilght was still in her hand. So sad and senseless.

They do get deported. They come back. As former law enforcement, this is a very sad, senseless, and frustrating situation. I've seen it to many times.

Ruth0209 Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 5:09pm
post #20 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

Quote:

They do get deported. They come back. As former law enforcement, this is a very sad, senseless, and frustrating situation. I've seen it to many times.

That is such a problem. As if we don't have enough of our own criminals. I've also worked in law enforcement and it's a real eye-opener about the criminal element.

countrycaker Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 9:12pm
post #21 of 29

Josie's killer was found this morning hiding in a shed with another man in a town about 60 miles south of here. I'm glad he's been found, but wish he'd been shot in the process. My husband (the chief deputy county attorney/prosecutor) says they will try for the death penalty, but to me that just spells out years and years of stress and repeatedly opening of a wound for Josie's loved ones. I guess maybe the sadness will diminish over time. Right now it seems too heavy to go away. Josie was a wonderful person - one of those people who is always smiling. To me it is especially hard to see the visible anguish on her daughter's face. Anyway, thank you all for allowing me to pour out my emotions to you. I feel like I can't talk about it right now with anyone in person because I hate to cry in front of people. I can type to you guys and cry all I want because you can't see me. So thanks.

_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 9:14pm
post #22 of 29

Take care country....so sorry.

countrycaker Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 9:15pm
post #23 of 29
Quote:

I just read the article and am floored that his arrest record goes back to 1992, and he's even spent time in the Utah state pen. I wonder why he was not deported?

Oh - I forgot to say, he actually was deported after he served his time in prison. He just turned around and came right back.

Deb_ Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 9:36pm
post #24 of 29

Thank God they found him before he killed again.

I'll tell you it's a good thing I'm not a cop because I think my gun would have "accidentally" shot him in the balls upon his arrest.

I have no mercy for these scumbags.

An upstanding citizen has to lose her life......it makes me sick. I'm so so sorry for everyone hurt by this senseless act.

prterrell Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 9:46pm
post #25 of 29

It's situations like this that make me wish stoning was still around.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 12:54am
post #26 of 29

I am so sorry for the loss of your friend. I know how you feel, my DH is a Police Chief. I know he sees and deals with a lot of the same thing. He loves his job, but I know it wears on him when horrible things like that happen.

Ruth0209 Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 1:05am
post #27 of 29

Loucinda, we don't thank our law enforcement officers often enough. I have tremendous respect and appreciation for the work your DH and other law enforcement officers do to make sure I am safe. Give him a hug and a thank you from me.

countrycaker Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 10:24pm
post #28 of 29

Well, funeral was today. It's actually a relief to get it over. Of course now comes the stress of the trial. I really wish the killer had given the officers reason to shoot him during the arrest.

The attendance of law enforcement at the funeral was jaw-dropping. This was an event the likes of which this little town I'm in has never seen before. There were hundreds and hundreds of officers from all over the state as well as some from neighboring states. There was a helicopter hovering above. There were over 90 motorcycle policemen leading the procession and 750 kids from the local high school and middle school lining the path of the procession, each holding a full-size U.S. flag. I have to wonder what Josie would say if she could have seen it all. I'm sure she would come up with some smart-alecky remark.

Thanks everyone for your support.

Deb_ Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 12:51am
post #29 of 29

How emotional it must have been to see all those people and school kids there to honor her.

I believe she did see it. icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%