Tier Cake

Decorating By kaddikakes Updated 6 Jan 2010 , 12:14pm by kaddikakes

kaddikakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaddikakes Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 5:08pm
post #1 of 6

I have been asked to make a cake to serve approx. 120 people. I have free range on the whole cake. This is my thought - - 10" red velvet with cream cheese icing, 8" choc. with peanut butter icing and 6" white cake with strawberry icing. I thought I would cover the 10" in white fondant, 8" in choc. fondant and the 6" in pink fondant (unless there is a strawberry flavor out there). I am not sure on the decorations but something simple since this is for a open house type get together for a religious group. All suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I'll take recipes also. Thank you so much for your help.

5 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 8:46pm
post #2 of 6

..moving to Ideas forum. ")

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 8:55pm
post #3 of 6

Are you sure you want to do a tiered cake for an open house? Only the first few people will get to see it completed before it needs to be dismantled and cut. Everyone after that will just see 3 flavors of cut cakes.

Maybe you could decorate a small cake with the appropriate theme for guests to admire while cupcakes or sheet cakes in various flavors are offerred.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 8:57pm
post #4 of 6

A 6/8/10 round serves 74 .... a 6/8/10 square serves 100. You're going to be servings-short if you stick with these sizes.

still_learning Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
still_learning Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 9:20pm
post #5 of 6

I've read some horror stories about cream cheese icing under fondant here on CC. You might want to check the forums for advice. I've been too chicken to try it myself but you might want to rethink the 10" icing. Good luck!

kaddikakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaddikakes Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 12:14pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you all for the advice. I knew if I posted I would get great ideas and advice. Time to re-think.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%