Getting Married, Question On Own Wedding Cake

Decorating By Ozzy7388 Updated 6 Jan 2010 , 10:14pm by cylstrial

Ozzy7388 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ozzy7388 Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 4:19pm
post #1 of 7

I'm pretty down with how to use gum paste but I'd like to know how to get that pink effect to it. The gum paste should be white or light pink (from the looks of it), and I need to paint it to get the pink effect but I'm not sure how or with what.

Also what are those drawings on the cake made out of? To my understanding the cake is covered in buttercream not fondant and I plan on using buttercream since it's less time consuming (gotta do lots of other things for my big day!). So I don't think it can be done with a edible pen but maybe very thin lines of buttercream?

So does anyone know how I can get those 2 effects on the cake? Thanks.

6 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 4:25pm
post #2 of 7

Petal dust would probably be the best way to get the darken centers to the flowers though you could also do it with color paste that has been thinned down.

For the drawing on the side, if you have a steady hand, you could paint them on with thinned down color paste or airbrush colors and a fine point artist brush.

Very pretty cake! I give you credit for doing your own wedding cake. While I know many have, I don't think I could talk myself into doing my own.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 4:36pm
post #3 of 7

I agree with TexasSugar. thumbs_up.gif Petal dust with a dry brush in the middle of the flowers and paint on the designs with gel colors thinned with ever-clear, with a soft small long tipped brush made for fine lines.

And I love the rustic not perfectly smooth BC! That should make it a dream to finish quickly. icon_wink.gif

HarleyDee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HarleyDee Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 5:42pm
post #4 of 7

I third that.. petal dust for the insides of the flowers, and then I would draw the vines and things with thinned down gel. Good luck! icon_smile.gif

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 8:49pm
post #5 of 7

That cake may be iced with royal icing rather than buttercream. Would make painting a lot easier. I can't image how that kind of detail can be painted on buttercream without leaving marks. But, I'm willing to learn. icon_smile.gif

soygurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soygurl Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 12:13pm
post #6 of 7

I've done quite a bit of painting on chilled SMBC. It's quite time consuming (IME), and if the weather is warm, you have to re-chill the cake often or the MBC gets too soft to pint on. Actually, I usually bundle up and paint IN the walk-in refrigerator at work! *burr* I've only ever used luster dust mixed with lemon (or almond) extract. I imagine a light pink luster dust would work well for the effect of the pick posted... or maybe petal dust mixed with alcohol/extract if you don't want the shimmer of luster dust? Not sure if that works or not... I've never worked with petal dust. icon_confused.gif
In any case, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have a steady enough hand to be painting details on my wedding cake, but more power to ya, if you wanna do it! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif [/i]

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 10:14pm
post #7 of 7

That's a very pretty cake! When are you getting married?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%