Sugar Flowers Book Recomendations???

Decorating By jolie1977 Updated 5 Jan 2010 , 8:42pm by Uniqueask

jolie1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jolie1977 Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 7:38pm
post #1 of 11

I've been "caking" for almost 1 year now and have learned through much googling, "youtube" tutorials and of course with the generous help of some cc tutorials and all the wonderful forums on how to make a few gumpaste flowers that I hadn't learned how to make through the Wilton classes... it's been great, but am now being asked to make some chinese blossoms for a wedding cake. I am now thinking I should probably invest in a good book (or video) that would teach me how to make all the flowers that I could possibly dream of... I'm wondering if any of you would have any recommendations for me?

10 replies
Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 7:53pm
post #2 of 11

I don't have an answer, but I am watching this thread. I did also hear Nicholas Lodge has, great gumpaste, Book or dvd, can't remember which one.

jolie1977 Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 8:19pm
post #3 of 11

Since I've posted my thread, I've been searching around on the Global Sugar Art website... there are TONNES of books available it seems... but where does one start???? LOL I wonder if there's a "bestsellers" list available somewhere for cake books... sugar flowers especially...

Uniqueask Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 8:58pm
post #4 of 11

I am surprised that I was the only one who responded, I remember seeing a thread a while back with a lot of recommendations, but can't seem to find it, I am new to gumpaste flowers also, so I don't even know which to recommend first, but I did buy the gumpaste flower tutorials dvd from tonedna, but as of now she only had stargazerlily, and pointsetta's, and you are looking for a specific flower, try Google, or PM edna and Jennifer, they may be able to help you. Tonedna, and JenniferMI, are they username's they are both gumpaste flower, teacher's Jen's website is www.sugardelites.com

Good luck.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 9:15pm
post #5 of 11

The Wilton gum paste cutter kit & book (about $10 with a coupon at Michael's) is a good jumping off point for basic flowers.

Nick Lodge's book, A Potpourri of Flowers, is wonderful. It has great photos, detailed instructions, and if you have a problem and you e-mail him, you will get a helpful response.

http://www.internationalsugarart.com/cgi-bin/store/shop.cgi?ud=TTdRQ0dLSEgwMCUlJSUlJTEyNjI2Mzk2NDEA&storeid=1&sortby=categories&cols=1&categories=0003&&c=detail.htm&itemid=BBB

HTH
Rae

Justforfun751 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justforfun751 Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 9:23pm
post #6 of 11

I'm also interested - Rylan posted a TONS OF FREE FLOWER TUTORIALS under the How do I? section on October 8, 2009. (I don't know how to attach links or I would). It's really helpful (and its free!!!!). I also love Tonedna - she is awesome!!! I've got Mary Ford's Decorative Sugar Flowers for Cakes - it has some nice step-by-step with color pictures depending on what flower you want, but doesn't really help much with arrangement on cakes. Alan Dunn has several books out - I have his Sugar Roses book, which I really love. I'd love to find more great books or a video also!!!

rayven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rayven Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 9:50pm
post #7 of 11

If you're looking to do cherry blossoms, Denise Talbot did a wonderful tutorial on our Sugar Teachers blog.

http://sugarteachers.blogspot.com/2009/06/cherry-blossom-tutorial.html

jolie1977 Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 1:58am
post #8 of 11

WOW! All kinds of helpful information guys!!! I honestly don't know what I'd do without these forums! I am so grateful to you all for taking the time to put some serious thoughts to your answers! "rayven", I have actually read through Denise Talbot's tutorial and for the cherry blossoms I will give it a try using her tutorial. Can anyone tell me what is a "cell pad" and whether it's needed or not? I always use my "thin foams" to work with my gumpaste flowers, but it seems like that might be something to replace that particular tool or I could be completely way off??? I am totally going to look into every suggestion you all made, I'm very excited to learn more!!!

rayven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rayven Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 2:03am
post #9 of 11

I don't use a cell pad. I'm too cheap right now to buy one!!!

I also love Alan Dunn's books!!

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 8:42pm
post #10 of 11

I am partial to Alan Dunn's books. he is fantastic!

Uniqueask Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 8:42pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justforfun751

I'm also interested - Rylan posted a TONS OF FREE FLOWER TUTORIALS under the How do I? section on October 8, 2009. (I don't know how to attach links or I would). It's really helpful (and its free!!!!). I also love Tonedna - she is awesome!!! I've got Mary Ford's Decorative Sugar Flowers for Cakes - it has some nice step-by-step with color pictures depending on what flower you want, but doesn't really help much with arrangement on cakes. Alan Dunn has several books out - I have his Sugar Roses book, which I really love. I'd love to find more great books or a video also!!!

The link to RYLAN's tutorial is in my signature.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%