Baking A 3 Tier Cake

Decorating By cakeittothelimit Updated 21 Jan 2010 , 3:18pm by cakeittothelimit

cakeittothelimit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeittothelimit Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 4:53pm
post #1 of 8

I want to make a 3 tier cake but I am unsure what is the best way to bake it. I know the tiers will be done at different times. The layers will be 5-7-9 inches. Any help would be appreciated

7 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 5:09pm
post #2 of 8

Put as many as you can on one rack, making sure you have plenty of air circulation between the pans.

Bake until done (i.e. the toothpick test). I never use a timer anymore, so I'm no help there. I can smell when they're done. But test them as you would any other cake.

Easy Peasy! thumbs_up.gif

_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 5:11pm
post #3 of 8

So you have 6 pans you're baking in right? You can shove them all in at once, and rotate if need be, or split them up. I might be tempted to bake the 5s on the top rack with the 7s on bottom and the 9s by themselves...but probably not. I would probably just shove them all in. Make sure your 5s are closer to the door so you can get them out first. I open and close my oven door so many times thru the baking process and never have issues of falling or sinking or other probs people say will happen. I'm pretty quick with it though and don't dawdle in the oven. Open, take out, shut right away.

UpAt2am Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UpAt2am Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 5:13pm
post #4 of 8

some on here will tell you to bake the same sized pans together and to not mix pan sizes. and ideally, that would be great, but sometimes i don't have the time to do that. i will bake a 6 and a 12 at the same time if need be. i rotate the cakes and move from top shelve to bottom if i notice any unever baking (i'm very careful during this process to not bang the pan, as the center will drop). i just pull out the different sized cakes whenever they are done...never had an issue!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 5:15pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpAt2am

some on here will tell you to bake the same sized pans together and to not mix pan sizes. and ideally, that would be great, but sometimes i don't have the time to do that. i will bake a 6 and a 12 at the same time if need be. i rotate the cakes and move from top shelve to bottom if i notice any unever baking (i'm very careful during this process to not bang the pan, as the center will drop). i just pull out the different sized cakes whenever they are done...never had an issue!

Agree. To me, it's a big tetris puzzle! Whatever mix-n-match that will optimize your baking time, go for it!

UpAt2am Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UpAt2am Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 3:37am
post #6 of 8

icon_smile.gif i must say that i consider it an honor to be agreed with by you indydebi icon_smile.gif i love your advice on here...it's real and practical!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 3:43am
post #7 of 8

Hi and Congrats on your 1st post, cakeittothelimit. icon_smile.gif

Everything you need to know to make, decorate and assemble tiered/stacked/layer cakes:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188-.html

Above super thread has popular CC recipes for crusting American buttercreams, several types of fondant and doctored cake mix (WASC and other flavor variations) - and so much more.

There's lots of baking help, info & photos for cake assembly methods and hints & tips for smoothing, etc.

HTH

cakeittothelimit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeittothelimit Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 3:18pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks for all the great tips! I made the cake and it turned out great. I guess I learned the best way is just to keep checking them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%