Kitchenaid Mixer ~ How Long Will It Last?

Decorating By kellertur Updated 5 Jan 2010 , 4:04pm by ibmoser

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 2:49am
post #1 of 9

Two winter's ago, I received my 5 qt. kitchenaid as a gift from my wonderful Mother in Law... I'm hoping it will last years.

How long can I expect my mixer to last? I use it a couple times a week, but usually only for icing, I like to handmix my cakes.

Thank you. icon_smile.gif

8 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 2:51am
post #2 of 9

Mine's 7 years old and still working great. icon_biggrin.gif

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 3:19am
post #3 of 9

I got a K45 as a gift from my just-married to me husband in 1975. The Kitchen aid lasted longer than the marriage. After years of hard use, I replaced it last year with the Artisan 5 qt. The only servicing it required was having the brushes replaced about 15 years ago, and a general lube and cord replacement a few years later. My ex-husband? I never replaced him. I am definitely a fan of Kitchen aid. You have a good mother in law.

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 4:03am
post #4 of 9

Thank you, that's a relief... I treat it like a baby. Not to sound insane, but I've even named it. icon_rolleyes.gif "Ripley", because it reminds me of the alien from the movie Aliens.

And YES, I adore my mother in law... few people can say that. No one fights or holds grudges in my husband's family... so any disagreements are stress-free. I am very lucky.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 6:41am
post #5 of 9

I got mine in 1988 and it's still going strong. JUST a month ago it started making a noise so I know I'll have to replace it soon but, hey, 20 years worth of constant service...can't beat that!

RobzC8kz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobzC8kz Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 3:10am
post #6 of 9

I'm STILL using my Grandmother's KA stand mixer from at least the 1960's!! She bought it used from an appliance store and we've never had to service it...not once!

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 3:39am
post #7 of 9

Aparently the OLDER KAs are better quality. I got mine & 3 yrs later it broke. Just fixed it & it sounds like it's about to break again (only used it 3 times since fixed). so needless to say I'm pissed & will be looking for a commercial mixer as soon as finances allow!

Beckup Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beckup Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 3:45am
post #8 of 9

Bought mine in 1991 and it's still going strong!

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 4:04pm
post #9 of 9

My 5-qt KA is 28 years old and is still the one I usually reach for. I did buy a 6-qt Pro two years ago, but I like my dear old friend better. I put hot pink flames on her.....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%