I Need To Know About Organic Options!

Decorating By FreeStyle Updated 3 Jan 2010 , 9:47pm by itsacake

FreeStyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FreeStyle Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 8:23am
post #1 of 3

Hi everyone icon_smile.gif

I have been looking a little bit in the stores for fondant and buttercream frosting. I want to there if there is such a thing as "all natural" frosting or fondant? I can't seem to find any? It seems like they all have trans fat.

Suggestions?

2 replies
keflyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keflyn Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 8:43pm
post #2 of 3

nope and gelatin for the most part as far as my little newblet head knows.....maybe make your own mmf using organic marshmallows and such? but as far as storebought goes i don't think so

itsacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsacake Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 9:47pm
post #3 of 3

When I was researching organic, I also found that natural green, for example, was $142.00 as compared to artificial green which was about $1.19 for the same amount. And natural colors don't work very well to boot, and are hard to find.

Natural is a funny concept, though. Hemlock and arsenic are completely natural, after all.

I sometimes use Earth Balance brand shortening sticks for baking and to make icings and Whole Foods also carries Spectrum brand shortening which is natural. Neither works as well as hi-ratio, though. Cake and pastries are just not necessarily going to be healthy, but as an occasional treat, I think we will probably survive.

Having said all that, if you do find sources, I hope you will post them, because I'd love to use more natural and organic products. Cake icings are about the only place I haven't succeeded in that endeavor.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%