What Will Happen??

Baking By BecuzImAGurl Updated 3 Jan 2010 , 7:31am by BecuzImAGurl

BecuzImAGurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BecuzImAGurl Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 2:24am
post #1 of 8

I tried MacMoms' WASC recipe but it was TOO sweet for our taste, what will happen if I take out at least 1/2 of the sugar called for?

her recipe has sugar, pudding mix (SWEET), flavored coffee creamer (SWEET), Juice (SWEEEEET)
oh, and the cake mixes itself is SWEET

would it affect the recipe much if I take out most of the sugar?

7 replies
Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 2:39am
post #2 of 8

I just wonder about it being too wet? I've never experimented with altering recipes before. I use the Original WASC recipe and everyone who has had it loves it. I've never heard of it (or any) cake being too sweet.

andpotts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andpotts Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 3:17am
post #3 of 8

I altered my WASC a long time ago (from suggestions here) and I cut the sugar by about half and it works great. I find it way too sweet with the full sugar too.

I love all of MacsMoms WASC variations and have you seen her rainbow cake, I still can't make one that pretty thumbs_up.gif

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 3:22am
post #4 of 8

Gasp...sweet cake, what is the world coming too...lol
Seriously though I have no idea, maybe you can omit the pudding or switch the creamer for just water.
Have you tried the orginal WASC with no pudding or creamer?

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 4:02am
post #5 of 8

This WASC recipe isn't overly sweet. If I use a Duncan Hines mix, I do add a box of instant pudding mix in a complimenting flavor to increase the density/sturdiness of the finished cake.

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/2322/white-almond-sour-cream-cake-wasc

Rae

BecuzImAGurl Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 5:29am
post #6 of 8

Maybe it's to different people, but with all that extra sugar from pudding mixes, juices, and creamer...I cant believe no one say its not sweet...My family and friends nearly gag from all that sweetness.

I just tried the WASC recipe by Rebecca Sutterby and cut half the sugar and it seems fine...

Yea MacMoms flavor list has lots of great flavors, I was cruising the web and saw from alot of site where she got her ideas from...check out CakeLava.com and gosh I forgot whats the other site...these two sites nearly have all of MacMoms flavor and more!!!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 5:43am
post #7 of 8

The link I posted is basically Rebecca's recipe.

I never add creamers or juices. I usually alter flavors using extracts, compounds, or a different pudding flavor. This doesn't increase the sweetness or alter the balance of liquids or fats.

Part of the reason for the amount of sugar is to balance the flour and to yield a denser cake.

And, as I said, no one has ever complained that it's overly sweet.

Many butter cake and sour cream pound cake recipes are less sweet. There's no shortage of options out there.

Rae

BecuzImAGurl Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 7:31am
post #8 of 8

thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%