How To Price A Cake

Decorating By bethyscake Updated 2 Jan 2010 , 11:03pm by Mike1394

bethyscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethyscake Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 10:26pm
post #1 of 3

I have read some posts on here regarding people asking how to price cakes some didnt get specific answers. Currently I make custom cakes with fondand figures. I was curious on how you charge. Is it the base cost per serving then adding on the extra detail work. Do you charge by time it takes to make the figures? I dont work with butter cream, simply fondant. Any ideas would be helpful, even just a guide on how to price things.

2 replies
kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 10:30pm
post #2 of 3

Here's an article I wrote on pricing. thumbs_up.gif

http://tinyurl.com/lanq45

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 11:03pm
post #3 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethyscake

I have read some posts on here regarding people asking how to price cakes some didnt get specific answers. Currently I make custom cakes with fondand figures. I was curious on how you charge. Is it the base cost per serving then adding on the extra detail work. Do you charge by time it takes to make the figures? I dont work with butter cream, simply fondant. Any ideas would be helpful, even just a guide on how to price things.

You want to know how to price something? Honestly EVERY manufactured product is priced one of two ways. First you figure how much your cost is. You must know this before anything else can happen.

You can take the Walmart approach, and price so you have the lowest price, and most market share. OR

You push the market to the max. Your market share is less, and your profit per item is higher.

That's it there is no crystal ball telling you how much a cake, fondant figure is worth. Whether it's cake, or widgets it's what the market will bare.

Mike

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%