My New Magic Line Pans....

Decorating By scionmom Updated 30 Dec 2009 , 10:46pm by scionmom

scionmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scionmom Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 2:23am
post #1 of 11

are wonderful... I love them, when it comes to not having to trim the sides or anything (square pans). But for some reason when i baked my cake the middle sank. I made the root beer float cake from the WASC google doc and i have made it before and it came out perfect. But for some reason this one sank almost a whole inch in the middle??

On the first layer (I made 3), I didnt use the flower nail since it was just an 8inch, and it was the worst! But I did on the other 2 and they still sank just not as bad? I baked them all at 350 for 25 min and then 325 for 15 more.

Any ideas on what happened?

10 replies
scionmom Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 3:59pm
post #2 of 11

Anyone??

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 4:14pm
post #3 of 11

Well, the main culprits when a cake sinks are 1) too much batter, 2) no flower nail or heating core. Other reasons could be; oven temp is off, something wrong with one the ingredients, didn't bake long enough.

When I switched to Magic Line, all the pans except the 9-inch round required more batter than the Wilton pans. Is it possible you are overfilling your new pans?

I notice you change your oven temp. part way through the baking. Why? Try baking at 325 for the whole time.

Also, the baking times you listed - 25 mins + 15 mins. Were the cakes testing done? Personally, I have no idea how long I bake any of my cakes. I just start testing them when they look close to done and continue baking until they're done. Did you bake til they were done? Or did you bake until the time was up?

I bake WASC and variations all the time, but I'm not familiar with the root beer float recipe. Sounds really interesting!

bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 4:21pm
post #4 of 11

I just did a square wedding cake with my magic line, I used flower nails as you did but I bake mine at 325 and never have that problem

LoriMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriMc Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 4:31pm
post #5 of 11

I'm thinking about replacing all my wilton pans with magic line pans. The wilton ones dent and get misshapen. You'd think those people would make higher quality stuff!

Anybody ever try the fat daddio's pans?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 4:31pm
post #6 of 11

I never bake above 325. And DianeLM is absolutely correct. Never, ever bake to a specific time. Always "bake until done." I have a strong suspicion that your cakes simply weren't baked enough. Probably needed just a few minutes more.

And after all these years, I finally noticed that W pans are typically 1 7/8 inches deep, while Magic Line pans are a true 2" deep. One more reason to despise W.

Ednarooni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ednarooni Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 4:52pm
post #7 of 11

I have fat daddio pans and I really like them.. I have never used magic line pans and I hear they are really exceptional as well. I use the WASC recipe and I never had a problem, until I used the chocolate WASC recipe and it fell also...like you were saying.. I was surprised. I bake at 325 until done.. I have no idea what caused it.. It was done..tasted good but needed to be filled in the center..lol Perhaps I overfilled it...as someone else was saying..I will watch for that next time..good advice.

Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 6:12pm
post #8 of 11

My first thought was underdone cake, as well as an above poster. Did you test them for doneness when you took them out? Did you torte them and get a look at the inside?

I just got new Magic Lines as well, but haven't had a chance to bake in them yet. I have noticed when I do a WASC variation, I do usually have to bake a few more minutes more than when I just make a cake out of the box with no alterations. But I bake at 325 and use a flower nail as well.

_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 6:16pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

I never bake above 325. And DianeLM is absolutely correct. Never, ever bake to a specific time. Always "bake until done." I have a strong suspicion that your cakes simply weren't baked enough. Probably needed just a few minutes more.

And after all these years, I finally noticed that W pans are typically 1 7/8 inches deep, while Magic Line pans are a true 2" deep. One more reason to despise W.

Dittoing and seconding and confirming all of this. thumbs_up.gif

_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 6:17pm
post #10 of 11

Yes, a Mgic Line pan is never going to be the cuplrit in your cakes turning out bad. That will always be chalked up to "operator error". icon_biggrin.gif

scionmom Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 10:46pm
post #11 of 11

The times were estimated because I start it at 25 min and then check through the glass and then check the doneness when it looks about right.... I might have put too much batter in it??? I didnt think it was my new pans, I just didnt know if I had to do something special when baking with them. I will find out next week when I bake my next one. Thanks to everyone that helped!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%