Wedding Cake Questions, Ribbons, And Stencils

Decorating By mcmurray20 Updated 30 Dec 2009 , 1:16pm by KHalstead

mcmurray20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcmurray20 Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 6:53pm
post #1 of 4

ooook so im very new to cake decorating only done a couple, but someone asked me to do a wedding cake for them.. trying not to go in over my head.. but i figured if i just read step by step i can do each step at a time and how hard can it be?....

THEN i realized i dont even know some of the "simplest" "silliest" things....

1. ive seen a bunch of pictures of ribbons on wedding cakes etc. are they mostly fabric? or is there a cool way to make an edible one look so realistic? what is most common?

2.ive been looking at designerstencils.com found a couple i like.. but my question is whats the best method to stencil on the sides of cakes? or even if not stenciling but scroll press and everything.. im nervous to do this side ways instead of on a flat surface.. any tips/tricks??

PLEASE share what works best for you.. the client is not sure if she wants buttercream or fondant yet.. so i need to know for both what works best.. just like royal icing on it or buttercream on buttercream? anyone recommend a certain stencil or method??

3 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 10:49am
post #2 of 4

It's really difficult to give directions for every possible way the techniques you might use could be achieved. (Too many "what if's.")

Also see that you asked some similar questions in this post:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-663517-.html

I'd advise that you sit down and seriously discuss with the BTB what she wants, including the size of the cakes needed (based on wedding serving slice size of 1x2x4). Showing her photos will help her visualize what the finished cake will look like. You can then post that photo or a link, and it'll be so much easier to see what you're talking about. And to get specific help on techniques you'll actually be using.

Don't make yourself crazy trying to learn everything about cake decorating INSTANTLY in order to make ANY cake the bride might request. Have the bride decide what cake she wants and try to learn only those techniques - for now.

And you can always use the CC galleries for wedding cake pics:
(Just let the bride know, they're not your creations - only design inspiration.)

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-photos.html

Here's a thread that might prove useful... ")

Everything you need to know to make, decorate and assemble tiered/stacked/layer cakes:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188.html

The above super thread has popular CC recipes for crusting American buttercreams, several types of fondant and doctored cake mix (WASC and other flavor variations) - and so much more.

It's a long read, but I hope you'll find it worthwhile. (And having at least a limited grasp of the basics, will so help you ask more relevant questions and better understand the responses.)

HTH

P.S. When is the wedding? And are you an experienced baker, but new to serious decorating? (Only asking, because if you're not - you're really challenging yourself!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmurray20

...i figured if i just read step by step i can do each step at a time and how hard can it be?....

The answer to that is a lot harder than you think..

Here's an interesting how-to article for BTB wishing to save the expense of paying big bucks for a professionally baked/decorated wedding cake:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-98621-.html

Be sure to read the responses from CC decorators.

LateBloomer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LateBloomer Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 12:09pm
post #3 of 4

What really helped me were the DvD's from JenniferMI and Sugarshack.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 1:16pm
post #4 of 4

definitely get Sharon Zambito's dvd ....either the buttercream one or the fondant one (depending on what you end up doing) and the stacking one! They are a wealth of knowledge.........I already knew how to ice, fill, and stack cakes and I STILL learned a TON from these videos!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%