? About Offering Decorating Classes.

Business By mommicakes Updated 30 Dec 2009 , 8:23pm by saberger

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 26 Dec 2009 , 4:48pm
post #1 of 12

If any of you offer decorating classes, could you please give me some advice on how to promote them, and any ideas you may have? I would totally appreciate any input you can send my way.

11 replies
mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 1:30am
post #2 of 12

icon_rolleyes.gif anyone have an info they wish to share?

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 1:39am
post #3 of 12

I'm starting with classes in the spring and have been thinking of ideas, too.

Covering cake w/fondant, figure modeling (I am really good at this), cupcake classes, basic piping, stacking a cake are all some ideas I've had.

thecookieladycc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecookieladycc Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 3:18pm
post #4 of 12

I would like to teach an after school class for kids as soon as I get my shop. I thought about doing for the general public, but I figured if I start teaching them then I could find myself out of business, no since in buying a cake if you know how to do it yourself! But anyway, I think you need to check with your state to see if you need a license or permit to teach. I know that some do require it. Check with your local health department to see what the rules are for that.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 5:23pm
post #5 of 12

Definately teach what you are really good at.

Jen icon_smile.gif

jodibug0975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jodibug0975 Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 6:41pm
post #6 of 12

I just wish you were in my area! I really want to take classes on sugar flowers and modeling figurines.... but there is nothing available around here past the Wilton classes.

Good luck!

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 7:08pm
post #7 of 12

I was asked if I would teach an advanced fondant class. The person asking went on to say that nobody seems interested in garret frills and....well now I can't remember what else she said, but it led me to wonder...what else would I teach?

What, in your opinion, gets taught at an advanced fondant class?

I was thinking fabric effects...bows, draping, ruffles, etc. Maybe ribbon roses...??? icon_confused.gif

saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 3:01am
post #8 of 12

I want to offer classes as well, including having guests come in to teach. Any suggestions on inexpensive ways to advertise it and how to price it?

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 3:45pm
post #9 of 12

I taught classes for many years. Mostly I advertised in my local papers.

For a shop inviting a guest teacher- I'd contact your local cake clubs, vo-tech school and ICES Chapter for sure!

jodibug0975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jodibug0975 Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 3:52pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by karateka

I was asked if I would teach an advanced fondant class. The person asking went on to say that nobody seems interested in garret frills and....well now I can't remember what else she said, but it led me to wonder...what else would I teach?

What, in your opinion, gets taught at an advanced fondant class?

I was thinking fabric effects...bows, draping, ruffles, etc. Maybe ribbon roses...??? icon_confused.gif

I have taken the Wilton fondant class, and what I still want to learn is everything you mentioned above (we did one bow in the Wilton class, on the gift package, but there are so many more varieties). Plus I would like to learn about modeling figurines. There are other options such as marizpan or chocolate, but you could teach about adding Tylose and making them out of fondant.

Sagebrush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sagebrush Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 7:54pm
post #11 of 12

I would love to learn figure modeling, but as far as I can tell, there is no where around here where I could go to learn.

Are there any books or DVDs that anyone could recommend, or a better way to find tutorials on YouTube... when I try to search for gumpaste or fondant, mostly I get flower tutorials (not all... I have found a few figurine tutorials, but mostly), and when I look for polymer clay tutorials, I end up with a lot of how to make canes.

- Leisel

saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 8:23pm
post #12 of 12

I have found books at Michaels and AC Moore for making polymer clay figures. Very cute. Look in the aisles there.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%