I Can't Believe My Mil Did That! .... Vent

Lounge By amytracy1981 Updated 31 Dec 2009 , 1:24am by mrspriss0912

Margieluvstobake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Margieluvstobake Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 12:52am
post #31 of 54

Your cupcake toppers are just adorable. It is easy to see how much time and effort you put into making them. And why do we do that? Obiviously for others to see and enjoy, and that was taken rather abruptly away. I can feel how hurt that made you. Well, all your CC friends can see them and appreciate them.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 12:53am
post #32 of 54

Putting on his horns icon_evil.gif and playing he devils advocate:

hmmm...."dirty" roll bag -- I take it those rolls were moldy and inedible? My gosh before plastic baggies, my mom saved EVERY (or so it seemed) bread/roll bag and used them to store food all the time.

hmmm... Just tossed them in the bag -- well, you were expecting her to run to the closet and find just the perfect size box and tissue paper and gently wrap them as if precious crystal? Heck, growing up, finding the box and tissue paper would have meant a trip to the basement and the furnace room (which was 16 x 20 -- don't ask -- Dad had delusions of grandeur that mom promptly turned into a reality of storage shelves) to find them buried way UP high as part of the Christmas stuff (unless it was still under her bed having been kicked there after wrapping the presents) -- the Christmas stuff at least being up front at this time of year and not buried in the back behind the valentine stuff bought on clearance, that being buried behind the Easter stuff (also on clearance) and that behind the summer stuff (also.....).

I do believe we often do not take into account the vastly different perception of "cake muggles" when it comes to our creations. To us: "our precious baby -- so perfect so cute"

To them: let's eat! get outta my way!

if they survived in the bag and only needed a bit of dusting before their "embalming" then no error, no foul, no harm.

ps....and I'm of the viewpoint that if I make a topper and you want it -- fine take it -- don't expect me to do anything special with it -- it's just a temporary thing for "show" (and could be a fun toy to play with and destroy).

amytracy1981 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amytracy1981 Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 1:09am
post #33 of 54
Quote:
Quote:

...well, you were expecting her to run to the closet and find just the perfect size box and tissue paper and gently wrap them as if precious crystal?

LOL No, But a plate would have been nice, they were sitting right next to the darn cupcakes. AND...I didn't expect her to even touch them. Any time I make a cake for a party that I attend I am EXPECTED (and not because I want to) to serve it up. This is just what people always expect me to do. They think well she made it so she can dismantle it and serve it. So why did she feel it was her duty this time?
Hey and also...if no one had wanted to keep them it would have been just fine with me if at the end of the party for them to be thrown in the garbage...I've done it before. I realize that they are just meant to be temporary art. But this happened soon after I got there with them. What was the harm with them staying intact until everyone decided to eat them??

princelyess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
princelyess Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 1:31am
post #34 of 54

After reading all of the posts on this, I looked at the pictures of the cupcakes. I wouldn't be surprised at all if she was jealous! Those cupcakes are adorable!!!!!!! I'm jealous too, but I would never do what your MIL did. I'm much like you, I wouldn't have said anything either (not that I wouldn't have wanted to), so don't feel bad. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 1:38am
post #35 of 54

SERIOUSLY???? Why do people feel the need to be so ugly??? Sounds like MIL hasn't learned to grow up yet. There's no way I'd go to all that work and have her yank those beautiful toppers off without giving her a good tongue-lashing. MIL or not, what she did was rude and just plain ugly.

Your toppers are ADORABLE!!! I can see why your mom likes to keep your work - they're just too cute for words and such a great job making them.

globalgatherings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
globalgatherings Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 1:47am
post #36 of 54

I have a solution "Prozac" for the MIL. No really, my mom when on it when she was in her 60's and it really helped her. The poor woman was miserable her whole life til they created anti- depressants. A little happy pill might work wonders. I doubt if this is the first time the MIL has acted irrationally. thumbs_up.gif and OP, I do agree you have every right to be upset, as I stated before, I just think your MIL has some issues you're not aware of.

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 1:51am
post #37 of 54

The bears & lights toppers are so cute! So perfect...it makes me wonder:

Did MIL know those were handmade by you?
Could she have mistakenly thought they were plastic/resin "store bought" toppers?
If she is not a caker (and she is so obviously is not!) then is it possible she did not realize she was destroying real art that you had made?

I think it's possible...just an ignorant, thoughtless act.

I'm not defending her by any means. I think what she did was inexcusably rude.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 1:58am
post #38 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by amytracy1981

My husband was standing there when she did this and I saw him flinch and then he rolled his eyes. He later said, he couldn't believe she just threw them in a bag like that. Yeah, some non-cake people just don't get it.

Now see this is just wrong.....why the heck didn't he say something to stop her?

Over the years my husband has become just as protective of my creations as I have. Nobody sees the time and work I put into them like he does.

I'd be a little upset that your hubby stood by and just watched his mother throw the pieces into a bag. Surely HE of all people knows how much work you put into those figures.

I think some of the blame falls on him....sorry. icon_sad.gif

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 4:40am
post #39 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by princelyess

After reading all of the posts on this, I looked at the pictures of the cupcakes. I wouldn't be surprised at all if she was jealous! Those cupcakes are adorable!!!!!!! I'm jealous too, but I would never do what your MIL did. I'm much like you, I wouldn't have said anything either (not that I wouldn't have wanted to), so don't feel bad. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

For all of you kind, gentle people (and I say that seriously) who do this, you need to understand something. People who are bullies look for you. They treat you that way because they know they'll get away with it. They know they can punch you in the gut and you'll just suck it up because you're a nice, decent person and you don't want to make a scene.

You need to STOP PUTTING UP WITH THIS!!! You generally only have to stand up to a bully once and they'll leave you alone from then on. You don't have to scream (it's better if you don't), but if you calmly and firmly said to your MIL, "You need to STOP! I will take the decorations off the cupcakes after everyone has had a chance to enjoy them for a while. I don't need your help with this. There is no reason for you to break what I took so long to make.", my guess is that she will be stunned and embarassed, which she should be, and she'll never try to pull this crap on you again.

You have a right to tell people how you expect to be treated. This is one of those "grow a spine" moments. You will be so much happier if you do this for yourself.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 5:03am
post #40 of 54

Ruth, you are so right. In my life experiences, you only have to stand up to a bully once. Just once. Bullies never pick on people who WILL "fight back" and stand up for themselves.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. ---Edmund Burke

My MIL tried to force us into some last minute (costly) changes in our wedding 2-3 weeks prior to the wedding. My then-fiance called me, told me what his mom wanted and asked, "What do we do?" (I'm sorry ... that's even a question? icon_confused.gif ) I told him, "Nothing. I get along great with your mom and if I give in to her now, I'll be giving in to her for the rest of our married life. And I"m not going to live like that."

Well, MIL tried pulling the 'ole silent treatment with me for the next 3 weeks, INCLUDING the day of our wedding and it lasted about 3 more months. When she saw that it wasn't working on me (like it usually did on her own kids icon_rolleyes.gif ) she stopped acting like an ass and we've been best friends ever since. And in over 20 years of marriage, she has NEVER tried to tell me how to do ANYTHING. I luv her to death. But I only had to tell/show her ONCE that I wasn't a doormat.

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 6:24am
post #41 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by amytracy1981

My husband was standing there when she did this and I saw him flinch and then he rolled his eyes. He later said, he couldn't believe she just threw them in a bag like that. Yeah, some non-cake people just don't get it.

Now see this is just wrong.....why the heck didn't he say something to stop her?

Over the years my husband has become just as protective of my creations as I have. Nobody sees the time and work I put into them like he does.

I'd be a little upset that your hubby stood by and just watched his mother throw the pieces into a bag. Surely HE of all people knows how much work you put into those figures.

I think some of the blame falls on him....sorry. icon_sad.gif

Through this whole thread that is exactly what I was thinking. I'm sorry this happened to you, your cc's are soooo cute.

fondantgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgrl Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 4:50pm
post #42 of 54

As what Dr. Laura Schlessinger would say, " you did not marry a man, you married a mama's boy". and I am so sorry that you do not have a Knight in a shining armour for a husband.. he is probably a great provider and/or father, but needs improvement in protecting and defending you. usaribbon.gif good luck next time.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 5:07pm
post #43 of 54

All it would take is a few moments to rip them off and shove them in a bag.
Those of us who have learned to fight, forget that those who haven't are stunned for a few seconds when something like this happens. In a split second we would probably have seen what was happening and stopped it, but if you aren't used to anything like this, there is a shocked moment.

Ruth0209 Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 5:22pm
post #44 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by fondantgrl

As what Dr. Laura Schlessinger would say, " you did not marry a man, you married a mama's boy". and I am so sorry that you do not have a Knight in a shining armour for a husband.. he is probably a great provider and/or father, but needs improvement in protecting and defending you. usaribbon.gif good luck next time.

He's probably experienced years of this from his mother and just wasn't prepared to incur her wrath if he said anything. Besides, I don't need my husband to fight my battles. I'm capable of taking care of myself. My husband knows not to step into my line of sight when someone pi$$es me off. He's seen me in action.

midwestmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
midwestmommy Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 5:26pm
post #45 of 54

The cupcakes are cute. But, you're upset that they werent the center of attention for long enough. Actually, you were the one to bring it up before it was time to eat them. Mil performed the action in a rude way, but probably bec she found it rude that you asked for them before people even started to dismantle and eat them. That seemed rude to me. Couldnt you just make new ones for your mom that had not sat in greasy frosting? A pristine set? Cake people tend to bring attention to their works and non cake people find it annoying. Not because theya re jealous but just bec it is so self-promoting. I have a friend like this. She is not talented even!

midwestmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
midwestmommy Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 5:30pm
post #46 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Ruth, you are so right. In my life experiences, you only have to stand up to a bully once. Just once. Bullies never pick on people who WILL "fight back" and stand up for themselves.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. ---Edmund Burke

My MIL tried to force us into some last minute (costly) changes in our wedding 2-3 weeks prior to the wedding. My then-fiance called me, told me what his mom wanted and asked, "What do we do?" (I'm sorry ... that's even a question? icon_confused.gif ) I told him, "Nothing. I get along great with your mom and if I give in to her now, I'll be giving in to her for the rest of our married life. And I"m not going to live like that."

Well, MIL tried pulling the 'ole silent treatment with me for the next 3 weeks, INCLUDING the day of our wedding and it lasted about 3 more months. When she saw that it wasn't working on me (like it usually did on her own kids icon_rolleyes.gif ) she stopped acting like an ass and we've been best friends ever since. And in over 20 years of marriage, she has NEVER tried to tell me how to do ANYTHING. I luv her to death. But I only had to tell/show her ONCE that I wasn't a doormat.

Ohhhhh
I so agree

I have someone who was a bully to me
i wanted to right it..i was told not to
it escalated until it made everyones life miserable
and all the while behind the scenes everyone was talking about what a bully the bully is and how they cant stand it

it didnt end well and the innocents paid while bully hlds nose hi in the air thinking bully won!

Deb_ Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 6:00pm
post #47 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth0209

Quote:
Originally Posted by fondantgrl

He's probably experienced years of this from his mother and just wasn't prepared to incur her wrath if he said anything. Besides, I don't need my husband to fight my battles. I'm capable of taking care of myself. My husband knows not to step into my line of sight when someone pi$$es me off. He's seen me in action.

Oh no I don't need my husband to fight my battles either. BUT this guy stood there and "FLINCHED" while he "WATCHED" his "MOMMY" throw the pieces in the bag.

IF I weren't around to stop my MIL you can bet my DH would have grabbed her hand and stopped her for me. icon_wink.gif

Ruth0209 Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 6:37pm
post #48 of 54

dkelly, if I weren't there, my DH would have said something, too, I'm sure. He's heard me rant enough times about idiot people who touch my stuff. And like you, he sees how long it takes me to make my little creations.

It sounds like this husband needs the "grow a spine" speech, too. And OP, I don't say that with any viciousness. Believe me, if you've seen any of my posts lately you know I understand how hard it can be to deal with loved ones!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 7:04pm
post #49 of 54

My husband spends his time at work telling adults they have to stop what they're doing, or that they can't do things. Sometimes whole groups of people, sometimes rude drunk people, sometimes scary crazy people, sometimes gang members...he's not afraid to tell them to stop. But I found out the other day that he can't stand up to his mother either. I think it's just something about men and their mothers.

Fortunately, I am willing to step in and stand up for him icon_razz.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Anyhow, I think the bears were adorable. Personally, I would have waited until the cupcakes were being served to ask to keep the bears, but if there wasn't a set time and it was just a "grab them when you want them" kind of thing, that might have been the only time to ask.

amytracy1981 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amytracy1981 Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 9:53pm
post #50 of 54

Ok I just want to settle one thing. I was standing right next to my husband and I did not see what she was doing until she was putting the a christmas light into the bag and this was the last thing she put in the bag. I think my husband looked over at the same time that I did and the reason we looked (or I looked at least) was beacuse I heard my mom telling her that she only wanted the bears. My husband is defenitely not a "moma's boy" he has stood up to his mom many times before. My husband is a great husband, so let's not bring him into this. I was a little stunned to see what she had done AND it had already been done so what is the point of starting a fight on Christmas day and making everyone uncomfortable?

And yeah, maybe I do want my cakes to get attention for a little while, don't we all?? We put enough work into them. If I didn't I would just save myself the time and hard work and just make a box (not putting down mix cakes) cake and slap some store bought frosting on it.

And no there was no set serving time on the desserts so that is why I asked when I did.

Deb_ Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 11:57pm
post #51 of 54

I guess what we're all trying to say is if you never set your MIL straight then she'll just do the same thing over and over again.

You don't need to start an argument, just a simple "Mom, let me take care of that" would be fine.

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 1:31am
post #52 of 54

Yeah, people don't get it. My b day is on Christmas and we were celebrating it at lunch. My mom ordered me a cheesecake from the Cheesecake Factory-it was a sampler of a few different kinds.
My grandma doesn't really get social norms and started serving people pieces with her hands and licking her fingers. I took the plate from her and started serving instead. Then she goes "Oh, what flavor is that?" to one of the flavors that wasn't obvious. I said "I don't know" so she reached forward with her fork and took a big honking bite from it. GAAAHHH!!! It wasn't even her slice!!! I love my grandma BUT...

funcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funcakes Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 10:43pm
post #53 of 54

Okay-I'll weigh in.

How upset we are with people's actions are usually tied to past experience and how much we connect with them.
As I read your post I thought-boy, if my MIL asked for the tops, cute fondant sculptures, before people were ready to eat them I would be horrified and think she was really rude. I would think she should keep her own, and then ask for any that were taken off and left on the plate.
If my MIL took the tops off when someone asked for them-I would think that was rude.
This is not so much about what she did right then, it would be about the history of her thoughtlessness.
Recently my kids came home for the weekend. My daughter & husband were to sleep in the pull out couch in the family room. I heard scraping noises. They moved the couch so they could relax and watch the flat screen tv better. I thought it was funny. Then I thought some more and realized if my DIL did that I would be offended and think she was critical about my room arrangement.
Now, I always try to think, would I be upset if _____ did the same thing, before I react. People very seldom do things to be mean, they just see things in a different way, or they are very impulsive. JMHO

mrspriss0912 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrspriss0912 Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 1:24am
post #54 of 54

Those are the cutest bears I love the cupcakes and wow the toppers are great I would have probably gone nuts if that had happened to me. I am so sorry that happened to you she needs to watch food network and see what really goes into making cakes .

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%