Torting A Cheesecake

Decorating By scionmom Updated 26 Dec 2009 , 2:31am by scionmom

scionmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scionmom Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 2:40am
post #1 of 8

Can it be done? I am making one of those red velvet cheesecake things... one layer of red velvet, layer cheesecake, and then another of red velvet. I have all of it made but my cheesecake is about twice as thick as one layer of the red velvet, so I was thinking if I can tort it like a regular cake I could make it 4 layers rather than 3. Thanks everyone for there input.

7 replies
KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 3:11am
post #2 of 8

I've never done it but I don't see why you can't torte it. Since i think tightly held dental floss is the best tool for cutting cheesecake, here's how I would do it. I'd divide the height in two and mark off where I'd like to cut through by inserting toothpicks every 2 inches around the circumference of the cheesecake. Then using the toothpicks as a guide, I'd pull the dental floss (held very taught) through the cake. Then I'd slide a thin cardboard cake board to pick up the upper layer from the bottom layer.

The cake has to be very cold for this to work.

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 3:41am
post #3 of 8

Sorry that I don't have any advice, but I sure hope you post which method you choose and how it worked out. I would think that a cheesecake would be too soft to torte, but I've never tried it.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 4:20am
post #4 of 8

Very cold to slightly icy. Next time it's much easier to bake 2 smaller cheesecake layers icon_smile.gif

Beckup Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beckup Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 4:46am
post #5 of 8

It can be done if you cut you cheesecake in a semi frozen state. I usually cut my cheesecake then place it on a cardboard round covered with plastic. Set it in the freezer for a few minutes to firm up before putting it between your layers of cake.

HTH!

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 5:10am
post #6 of 8

My cheesecake is so beautiful I would never have the heart to torte it haha...

scionmom Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 12:50pm
post #7 of 8

Thank you all for your advice! It is still in the fridge and I will be throwing it in the freezer as soon as I am done typing. I thought about baking two cheesecakes but didnt think it would have the HUGE size difference that it does.
Madgeowens-- I know what you mean! This is the first cheesecake I have EVER made and it came out soooo pretty no cracks or anything!
I will let you know how it goes when I finish it today!

scionmom Posted 26 Dec 2009 , 2:31am
post #8 of 8

Well, just an update. I didnt end up torting it but I did use the floss to level it off a little. It worked like a charm! Thank you all so much!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%