Questions About Fondant

Decorating By jamie3928 Updated 27 Dec 2009 , 5:29pm by jamie3928

jamie3928 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamie3928 Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 11:31pm
post #1 of 6

hi! i'm new to cake decorating but i LOVE it so far! I'm going to try a cake tonight and I was wondering how everyone gets their fondant smooth and with no wrinkles on the corners. any tips and tricks would be greatly appreciated! Thanks you! thumbs_up.gif

5 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 2:04am
post #2 of 6

You can roll your fondant out on a mat. Put a little bit of cornstarch on the mat so that the fondant will come off easily. Then pick the entire mat up and put it on the cake. So the top of the fondant on the mat (when it's laying on the counter), becomes the bottom. Make sure that you roll the fondant long enough so that you don't have to stretch it.

So once the fondant is on the cake, work quickly and smooth the edges with your hands. Then go back with a fondant smoother.

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 26 Dec 2009 , 3:32am
post #3 of 6

I grease the counter with crisco (as well as the rolling pin) and then roll the fondant onto the rolling pin to lift it onto the cake. Then I prefer to use my hands to smooth. I find that getting a smooth finish takes practice, but you need a smooth BC coat underneath too. I smooth my crumb coat with a hot knife. Everyone eventually finds the way that works best for them. Cornstarch did not work for me. There are lots of videos on you tube and on here that will help you. Just do a search. Have fun! icon_biggrin.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 26 Dec 2009 , 3:36am
post #4 of 6

sounds like you're doing a square cake. Do the corners first, then the sides.

sherrycanary62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherrycanary62 Posted 26 Dec 2009 , 12:09pm
post #5 of 6

I also found that if you use the fondant smoother while your fondant is still on the mat...you will have a lot less wrinkles, blips, dents.etc to fidget with once it is on the cake.

jamie3928 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamie3928 Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 5:29pm
post #6 of 6

thank you everyone! i tried it and did a bow on top too! the bow turned out cute buy my corners tore icon_sad.gif I used my hand to smooth the fondant (i don't have a smoother yet) and you could definitely tell. I'm signing up for wilton's cake decorating classes so hopefully that will help me out a bit. Thanks for all the advice! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%