Help!! Fondant Color Emergency!

Decorating By Thanksharla Updated 22 Dec 2009 , 8:59pm by Thanksharla

Thanksharla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Thanksharla Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 7:42pm
post #1 of 6

I am trying to color my homemade MMF red. I tinted it pink while it was mixing hoping that would help. I used the Wilton "no taste" red that comes in the little jar to try to make red. That didn't work and it wasn't dark enough so I kneaded in a little black. Well, I was wrong. Now it is a dark purplish color. How do I get it red??

(I tried to attach a picture, but it said the picture was to big. I'm not sure how to make it smaller.)

5 replies
LateBloomer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LateBloomer Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 8:16pm
post #2 of 6

Oops I don't think you'll get it red once it has turned purple. I would have tried to add a tiny bit of blue to the red. I work with balls of paste saturated with the primary colours. I find you have more control over the colour by mixing various coloured paste together.

PuffCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PuffCake Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 8:30pm
post #3 of 6

I've never had any luck using "a little" black to darken a color either. I'm not sure that you'll be able to get your existing shade to red. I would start with a new batch and mix in all the red color to the melted marshmallows, then add the sugar. That way you don't have to knead any color in. It's already in there. I've also never had any luck using Wilton reds...they never get bright red. I use Americolor Super Red and it works like a charm icon_smile.gif

traceyjade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traceyjade Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 8:44pm
post #4 of 6

The wilton I find just makes it pink, I have used it before and have put a ton of it in RI and it didn't turn out for me.On the other hand Americolor Super red now thats amazing! Adding black to make red not so good as blacks have a blue undertone.

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 8:49pm
post #5 of 6

In order to get a true red, you will have to start over. Once you get that funky color, it's best just to use it for black. If you don't have or have access to the Americolor, use liquid red (McCormik etc)in your recipe. You may have to use a couple of little tubs of the Wilton No taste red to achieve a true red.

Good luck!

Thanksharla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Thanksharla Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 8:59pm
post #6 of 6

Shoot...that's what I was afraid of. I may have to just switch the design up a bit. what is the best way to go about turning it black?? The fondant is for the actual cake...(not decorations)

All I have on hand are Wilton colors...black, brown, purple, blue etc.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%