Wilton Cookie Icing Question. . Please Help Asap!

Baking By forheavenscake Updated 23 Dec 2009 , 1:23am by TracyLH

forheavenscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forheavenscake Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 4:31pm
post #1 of 10

Merry Christmas everyone! So I am going to make some cookies for my husband's family and need some help. I have never decorated cookies with RI before. In fear of screwing up the RI recipe (which I have only had one horrific experience with in the past) I was going to go buy the Wilton Cookie Icing that comes in that little white squeeze bottle thing. Does anyone have any experience with that? Does it work well? Do you get the same smooth/shiny look that you do with RI?

I just don't want to go buy it and then find out that it's crap. Please let me know as soon as you can what you think of this stuff or if you have any other helpful ideas!

Thanks so much!

9 replies
kiki07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kiki07 Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 4:47pm
post #2 of 10

I used the Wilton's Cookie Icing once when I didn't have time to make royal icing and it was horrible. It was way too sweet. So sweet that even the kids scraped it off. I would go ahead and make the royal icing. I use the Wilton recipe except that I add flavoring. Vanilla usually, but I have added almond or orange and it was yummy.

pinkflower1212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkflower1212 Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 4:50pm
post #3 of 10

I too am not to keen on the Wilton Cookie Icing. I prefer to make my own. I use Antonia 74's RI recipe here on CC. Try it. I usually change out the vanilla extract she has with other flavorings (bubble gum, orange, raspberry). The possibilities are endless.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 5:44pm
post #4 of 10

What was your problem with the RI? Have you tried the cookie glaze icings?

I've only worked with the Wilton Cookie Icing once, and it was a struggle to get it out of the container. I think you come off better and cheaper to make your own icing.

forheavenscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forheavenscake Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 7:08pm
post #5 of 10

Well, I couldn't get the right consistency for one. . but on top of that it tasted absolutely awful!!

What are cookie glaze icings? Where can I get those?

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 7:27pm
post #6 of 10

I use gemini's glaze and it's wonderful. Here's a link to the recipe. http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6654044-.html#6654044

Edited to add recipe

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 7:37pm
post #7 of 10

http://www.wilton.com/recipe/Poured-Cookie-Icing

There is also a Toba Garrett Cookie Icing as well that is very simalar.

You can flavor royal icing. Getting the consistancy right can be a little tricky at first, but with practice it can be done, so you don't have to shy away from it.

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 8:27pm
post #8 of 10

I've used the Wilton icing and it was disgusting. It came out very liquidy so it messed up the cookies, and it tasted gross (commercial type tasting).
I would definately recommend trying the RI recipes given here or the glaces. It's worth the time and ingredients.

nutjob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nutjob Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 8:56pm
post #9 of 10

I use the Wilton Recipe for RI (Merignue powder, powdered sugar, water) plus some clear vanilla.
I get complements left and right, and won a state fair with it.
don't get me wrong though, the others are great too!!!

as for consitency.
practice, practice, practice.
you'll get it.

for flooding. a drop of icing should disappear at a slow count of 10 (no sooner, no longer)

good luck!
happy baking!

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 1:23am
post #10 of 10

The Wilton icing is horrid. (Sorry to be so blunt.). I use Antonia74's RI. Her MP is from Canada and has vanilla flavor built in, but ours in the U.S. does not. I add all-natural flavorings from Spices, Etc. and am using the Clear Vanilla a lot right now as I am doing a lot of white with the holidays. I swear by the Clear Vanilla, but love their other flavors as well. PM me if you want a first time order coupon code, if you are interested.

If you don't use the Clear Vanilla, you can add regular vanilla, but you will need to compensate for the color shift by adding white. (I use Americolor Super White). However, ever since I tried the Clear Vanilla, I don't use this technique any longer.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%