Help!!! I Don't Want Bulging On This Wedding Cake!!

Decorating By MissCallie Updated 29 Dec 2009 , 10:42pm by FromScratch

MissCallie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissCallie Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 11:10pm
post #1 of 17

I am making my first four tiered wedding cake, and since it is a very simple design, there isn't much I can do to hide any faults (eg. BULGING)...some cakes I have made don't have this problem, and then some pesky ones do....how do I consistently make sure I don't have this problem, and consistently have clean work?? Please, all you master's out there, share your wisdom!! I don't want to let the bride down! Thank you! icon_smile.gif

16 replies
KristyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristyCakes Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 11:33pm
post #2 of 17

Be sure to let the cake settle, don't over fill and use appropriate supports ... good luck!

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 11:44pm
post #3 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by KristyCakes

Be sure to let the cake settle, don't over fill and use appropriate supports ... good luck!

agree, letting the cake settle overnight is key. Don't rush the cake or you could end up with bulges. Good luck

dorie67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dorie67 Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 11:45pm
post #4 of 17

I have to totally agree with KristyCakes, you have to let the cake settle. After I fill a cake I put something heavy on top of it and let it settle for about 20-30 minutes(something I learned here on CC) and it has helped soooooo much! Good Luck! princess.gif

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 11:51pm
post #5 of 17

what type of heavy thing do you put on your cakes to help the settling?

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 2:44am
post #6 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by aundrea

what type of heavy thing do you put on your cakes to help the settling?

How about the cake pan it was cooked in turned upside down with a glass measuring cup sat in it.

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 2:55am
post #7 of 17

that a good idea-never thought of putting something heavy on the cake to help settling. im sure this speeds it up too.
thanks

KateLS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KateLS Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 3:05am
post #8 of 17

I've also read here that people put thickened frosting or fondant along the outside of the filling, level with the sides, so the filling doesn't come out and bulge. I haven't tried it, but I thought it was a marvelous idea.

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 3:09am
post #9 of 17

A VERY stiff buttercream dam will also help you alleviate the bulging problem.

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 6:29pm
post #10 of 17

I always seem to get bulges icon_mad.gif

Somebody mentioned freezing cakes seems to 'help' cause this problem, and I always freeze. Thoughts?

yeastconfection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yeastconfection Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 6:49pm
post #11 of 17

Try the ganache shell under fondant - makes the fondant taste great....holds the cake/bulges in....no need to frost the outside with buttercream!

kcassano Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcassano Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 6:55pm
post #12 of 17

also a fan of the ganache (setting, not pouring kind). nothing is getting thru that sucker. but it's more expensive than BC.

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 7:10pm
post #13 of 17

the only thing that worked for me is using an agbay to tort each tier 3-5 times so that each layer of filling is really thin - the reason my cakes bulged before was because i only had one tort and a big thick layer of filling which instantly bulged under the weight of the fondant.

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 7:10pm
post #14 of 17

is it a fondant cake? not sure.
definitely not a master here, but not sure how new you are to decorating either. make sure those cakes are perfectly level before sandwiching them together. the bulge usually comes when the center is humped and the sides settle. if you level them and use a thick dam, you should have no problems. Also, if you chill or freeze them once assembled, you can "carve" the sides and shave off any imperfections that will mar your icing. I also chill may cakes after icing them, but that is just a personal preference.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 9:10pm
post #15 of 17

This is the best article I've seen on preventing bulging. (You may have to cut-n-paste it rather than being able to just click on it):

http://www.cakeboss.com/PreventBulging.aspx

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 10:17pm
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsNancyB1

A VERY stiff buttercream dam will also help you alleviate the bulging problem.

totally agree! stiffen some buttercream by adding lots of powdered sugar to it and forming your dam...then move on to letting it settle overnight.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 10:42pm
post #17 of 17

Making sure your filling layer isn't too thick will help a lot with not getting bulging. I have never had to let a cake sit overnight, but pressing down on it will speed up the settling. I usually just fill then press down on the layers and then ice immediately and pop it in the fridge. I also torte my cakes so there is 4 layers of cake and three layers of filling and the filling layers are thin.

Good luck with your cake. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%