What Am I Doing Wrong? Cracks In My Fondant?

Decorating By Spoiled1 Updated 21 Dec 2009 , 4:29am by sugarcheryl

Spoiled1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spoiled1 Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 10:02pm
post #1 of 8

Hello everyone and Happy Holidays!

I am in much need of advice/help here. I was SO excited to try the Satin Ice fondant as I have always used the MMF, and my dh says I should mix it up a bit. I am not a professional baker, but enjoy trying my hand at new things and my family & friends get to enjoy the outcome.

I am making what I thought was going to be a fun and simple cake...First time I have attempted Satin Ice fondant....I roll it out...looks great....then I put it on the cake....looks good for a moment.....until I notice the fondant is cracking. Not sure what I am doing different/wrong. icon_confused.gif

Any and all of your help is so apprecitated...
Thank you!
Julie

7 replies
_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 11:48pm
post #2 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiled1

Hello everyone and Happy Holidays!

I am in much need of advice/help here. I was SO excited to try the fondant as I have always used the MMF, and my dh says I should mix it up a bit. I am not a professional baker, but enjoy trying my hand at new things and my family & friends get to enjoy the outcome.

I am making what I thought was going to be a fun and simple cake...First time I have attempted fondant....I roll it out...looks great....then I put it on the cake....looks good for a moment.....until I notice the fondant is cracking. Not sure what I am doing different/wrong. icon_confused.gif

Any and all of your help is so apprecitated...
Thank you!
Julie

Yeah, Satin Ice tended to do that to me too. I make MFF-give that a shot! Michelle Foster Fondant....it's divine! Recipe in here somewhere.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 11:57pm
post #3 of 8

I too use MFF and love it. Never have cracks etc and cheap and easy to make.

juststarted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juststarted Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 3:30am
post #4 of 8

I use satin ice fondant. I just made few cakes, not a pro but if you look at my most recent cake (girly cake) the fondant is pretty smooth (no cracks). I take some shortening on my hands and knead the fondant to make it pliable before rolling it out. that should resolve the issue.

Spoiled1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spoiled1 Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 3:46am
post #5 of 8

Thanks...I will try the shortening technique. I will also try the MFF fondant. I just read all the raves about Satin Ice fondant...that is what made me try it. I will definitely try the MFF from here.

Thank you again!
Julie icon_smile.gif

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 11:39am
post #6 of 8

I use Satin Ice. It does seem to dry out faster than some of the other brands. I roll it out with Pam on a silicone mat (powdered sugar will only dry it out) and work fast icon_smile.gif

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 1:36pm
post #7 of 8

I had the very same problem. I was so disappointed that I was convinced I'd never use it again. But it tastes sooo good (for fondant) and looks so beautiful that I tried again. I use it specifically for red and black now because those are so hard to color. Otherwise, I use MMF-it's tasty and much cheaper!

With satin ice, I found that you cannot leave it uncovered for even a minute or it cracks. I also found that I really have to knead it quite a bit before use (and get some crisco mixed in with it). I live in a really dry climate and that may have something to do with it! icon_smile.gif

sugarcheryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarcheryl Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 4:29am
post #8 of 8

Yes Satin Ice tends to dry out much quicker. I thought it was just me but now after read this thread I know I must work quickly. I like the taste of Satin Ice also. I also believe if you have a sheeter like the cake artist on tv but that only works if you are doing a lot of cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%