Questions Re: Antonia74's Ri

Baking By laurs_1981 Updated 27 Dec 2009 , 2:05am by DeeDelightful

laurs_1981 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laurs_1981 Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 4:02pm
post #1 of 9

hey guys, i was just wondering if it is truly neccessary to whip antonia74's RI for 10 mins....i'm usually quite a stickler for following recipes, esp when i've had such good results..however i am an home baker and have gone through 4 hand mixers so far due to burning out the motors.....i have a feeling that i made santa nice list and that he will be bringing me a KA this year, but in the mean time, i was wondering if anyone had had success when only beating the mix say 5 mins?...tfyh

8 replies
bakermommy4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermommy4 Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 4:19pm
post #2 of 9

I have been in a time crunch tons of times and have beaten the icing for about that time...it turned out fine. The results are better when you go the whole time but 5 minutes are o.k.
hth

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 5:18pm
post #3 of 9

Royal icing, when not beat long enough won't preform correctly. When it hasn't been mixed long enough it will fill very thick but will not hold shape, and will just melt.

In my experince you can usually get away with it for 7 mins with a stand mixer but almost always need the 10 mins for a hand mixer. If you need to mix it for 5 mins, cover it and give your mixer a break you can do that.

An indication that your icing has been mixed long enough is that it will go from looking shiney to more matt in appreance.

If you don't get a nice stand mixer for Christmas, I would consider getting a KA hand mixer. I have had two of them. They are a little more pricer than the othes, but they have a better motor and hold up longer. I had a 5 speed KA hand mixer for 10 years that I used for everything, cookie dough, stiff buttercream and royal icing. I now have a 9 speed that comes will bread dough hooks, so that gives you an idea what kind of motor it has. I want to say the 5 speed sells for around $50 and the 9 speed is $80 or $90. There is also a 7 speed version as well.

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 6:25pm
post #4 of 9

When I taught decorating classes, I used to tease my students that my KA has hatch marks on it for all of the hand mixers my students have burned out over the years! icon_lol.gif

Here's hoping that Santa brings you a KA for Christmas! icon_smile.gif

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 9:01pm
post #5 of 9

FYI, if you whip RI too long it will dry sticky and tacky. Found out the hard way.

laurs_1981 Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 4:20am
post #6 of 9

thank you all for your help...i really hope santa got my letter!! haha

laurs_1981 Posted 26 Dec 2009 , 8:17pm
post #7 of 9

I GOT ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YEEHAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...got my very own KA for christmas!!!!!!!!!!...it's the anniversary ed., bright red to match my kitchen!!!...can't wait to start getting all of the fun accessories!!!!...hope everyone else had a great holiday icon_smile.gif

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 1:35am
post #8 of 9

THAT'S GREAT!! You will absolutely love it. Enjoy

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 2:05am
post #9 of 9

Wow i know you are excited!!! I'm happy for you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%