Renting Kitchen Space In Michigan Help....

Business By sheshe09 Updated 15 Jan 2010 , 3:54pm by DefyGravity

sheshe09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheshe09 Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 3:48pm
post #1 of 6

I'm currently running a home base business which isn't legal here in Michigan so after speaking with HD I am looking to rent kitchen space to get my license. I would like to hear some advise on my do or don't. I just want to make sure I do this the correct way. Because I want to open a store front. This business has been a blessing for me.
Thanks in advance

5 replies
cib Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cib Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 3:30am
post #2 of 6

I live in southeast Mi. Cant offer any advice on the storefront as I've leased from caterers and churches to be legal. Just wanted to say good luck with your business, and if you're ever looking to rent out space to another baker, let me know what part of MI your in.

sheshe09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheshe09 Posted 26 Dec 2009 , 7:19pm
post #3 of 6

Is there antone else out there could help me with my questions. Need to become legal ASAP. But, unsure which is the best route. Thanks in advace

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 2:06am
post #4 of 6

I'm from MI and I go thru the Dept. of Agriculture. Maybe you should give them a call for advice, hopefully they can help. I have a licensed kitchen in my home.

Jen icon_smile.gif

sjmoral Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sjmoral Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 3:46pm
post #5 of 6

I recently contacted the Health Dept and had the inspector for my county call me to see what the requirements were for an in home bakery and she said THAT IS NOT POSSIBLE! It is not allowed in Michigan! I said, there are people with licensed home bakeries and she did not believe me at all. I just wanted to cry and I am so heartbroken. She only suggested that OI ask in Churches, halls, etc. and rent their commercial kitchen. My husband wants me to talk to someone else but when you call the Dept of Health they direct you to your inspector, the only one for my county...
I hope you can find a place soon!
Sheila

DefyGravity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DefyGravity Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 3:54pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmoral

I recently contacted the Health Dept and had the inspector for my county call me to see what the requirements were for an in home bakery and she said THAT IS NOT POSSIBLE! It is not allowed in Michigan! I said, there are people with licensed home bakeries and she did not believe me at all. I just wanted to cry and I am so heartbroken. She only suggested that OI ask in Churches, halls, etc. and rent their commercial kitchen. My husband wants me to talk to someone else but when you call the Dept of Health they direct you to your inspector, the only one for my county...
I hope you can find a place soon!
Sheila

From what I understand, you can have a licensed kitchen in your house, but it has to be in the basement and not used as the family kitchen.

My husband is about to get stationed in VA, but when he gets out of the AF, we're moving back here. I'll probably get a single-wide trailer to put out back (we're going to buy my parents' house in the country) and get that inspected.

Good luck in finding something!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%