How Do I Store Gumpaste Figures?

Decorating By JuneBugBaby Updated 17 Dec 2009 , 4:56pm by TexasSugar

JuneBugBaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JuneBugBaby Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 3:48pm
post #1 of 4

I made my first set of gumpaste figures! I LOVE them! I think they turned out great for my first try!! icon_biggrin.gif Only thing is I don't know what to do with them! I need them for my dad's cake on Tuesday so I wont be using them until then, should I put them in the freezer? Fridge? Leave them out? Not sure what to do with them! Any advice would be great! Thanks!

Also, if I were to make gumpaste figures for future cakes how far our can I make them? Do they last for a while? I love to make them but they are time consuming and it would be easier to make them in advance if possible.
LL

3 replies
alene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alene Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 4:09pm
post #2 of 4

Those are really cute JuneBugBaby! I just keep mine in an air tight plastic bowl. I'm not sure how long they keep but I think for a pretty long time that way.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 4:09pm
post #3 of 4

Put them in a cake or cardboard box and leave them out of the fridge or freezer.

I had a turkey that was two years old and a scarecrow that was atleast 5 that I threw out last year. They both looked fine except for some fading on the scarecrow, but then it gave him the rustic look. icon_smile.gif

So can really make them at any point. Since they are gumpaste and will be getting very hard so I wouldn't suggest anyone eat them anyway.

By storing them in a box it allowes air to get to them, but will keep them dust free.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 4:56pm
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by alene

Those are really cute JuneBugBaby! I just keep mine in an air tight plastic bowl. I'm not sure how long they keep but I think for a pretty long time that way.

One warning about the air tight bowl, I did some turkeys one time and used a dot of black color paste for the eyes. In the air tight bowl the color paste feathered out and bleed. I know it was the bowl because I had one several of them before and didn't have that problem.

If it is all fondant and nothing painted on it, then I couldn't see why the air tight bowl would hurt. But unless you are keeping them soft (and gumpaste is gonna dry hard anyway) you don't have to use it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%