Any Tips For Smoothing Candy Clay Figures?

Decorating By kitty122000 Updated 21 Dec 2009 , 2:10pm by dsilvest

kitty122000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kitty122000 Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 6:54am
post #1 of 4

I'm making a candy clay figure of Wubbzy and he is shaped as a rectangle with rounded corners, I've got the basic shape but he seems kind of lumpy. Does anyone have any suggestions on flattening him out?

My clay also seems to be melting pretty quickly, I've been reading up on here and made it 24 hours ago(with 14oz of candy melts and 1/3 cup of corn syrup). I've been washing my hands a lot and running cold water to try to keep my hands on the cold side but it seems like I am having to put it in the fridge to harden up after just a few minutes. Is this normal?

TIA!

3 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 1:27pm
post #2 of 4

I use gloves when modeling with that stuff, keeps most of the heat off my project. Also if possible, use a plastic tool instead of your fingers.

SandiOh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandiOh Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 1:55pm
post #3 of 4

I found with candy clay, that sometimes I need to just walk away for a few minutes and let the clay harden a bit (I've never put it in the fridge, but if it works...).
I just recently made a lipstick tube out of candy clay, and to get it smooth, i used 2 fondant smoothers on either side to help get a better rectangle shape and to smooth it out...does that make sense?
gloves also help to keep the fingerprints off too...
good luck
Sandi

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 2:10pm
post #4 of 4

Try buying an inexpensive set of real clay modeling tools. They can be purchased at most craft stores.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%