8 replies
Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 4:58pm
post #2 of 9

Thank you for sharing!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 3:21am
post #3 of 9

Interesting article, even though I'm a cupcake hater! icon_biggrin.gif I especially liked the parts about the cupcake dying out icon_twisted.gif

MalibuBakinBarbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 4:32am
post #4 of 9

I thought the article was interesting, too, and I hope others have enjoyed it as well! I liked the paragraph about about profits, where the owner of Lovely Confections Bakery in Denver details each cost associated with each individual cupcake. I think that will help a lot of people who come here thinking they might want to start a baking business. Many don't realize how important it is to know these things. But then, I like working with numbers. icon_wink.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 11:10am
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuBakinBarbie

I thought the article was interesting, too, and I hope others have enjoyed it as well! I liked the paragraph about about profits, where the owner of Lovely Confections Bakery in Denver details each cost associated with each individual cupcake. I think that will help a lot of people who come here thinking they might want to start a baking business. Many don't realize how important it is to know these things. But then, I like working with numbers. icon_wink.gif

I agree. Just for fun, I ran some numbers (you know how I love numbers!), using their per-cupcake-figures and doing the "....If I used these numbers to meet my expenses, how many cupcakes would I need to sell?" scenario.

If my marketing expense was $500 a month, at 24 cents per CC, I'd need to sell 2084 cupcakes a month (70 a day) to cover this cost.

If I had a loan pymt of $700/month, at 16 cents each, I'd need 4375 CC's a month (146 perday) to meet this pymt.

If I had rent/utilities of $2200/month, at 57 cents each, I'd need 3860 CC's a month (129/day) to pay the rent.

If my insurance was $300/month, at 4 cents each, I'd need to sell 7500 CC's a month (250/day) to cover this cost.

Super fun exercise and breaking it down per cupcake like they did in the article is very helpful to anyone starting out. It shows new entreprenuers the thought process we need to go thru when determining if we can make it or not. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

MalibuBakinBarbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 3:40pm
post #6 of 9

Thanks, indydebi, for sharing even MORE insight with us! Enjoy your day! icon_smile.gif

cupcakeatheart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakeatheart Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 9:01pm
post #7 of 9

Im starting the shop or not debate in my head and everything gets very nteresting and clear when you break it all down by the numbers. Thanks for sharing the article. I love this place icon_smile.gif

ButtercupMama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ButtercupMama Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 10:34pm
post #8 of 9

That was a cool article; I like the fact that it covered so many angles and was unbiased, for the most part. Half way thru it though, I had to stop and take a phone call from someone inquiring about what cupcakes are in our bakery case today. icon_biggrin.gif

cakesweetiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesweetiecake Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 12:45am
post #9 of 9

Thanks for sharing this article!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%