Need Hints On How To Make Red Red Icing..

Baking By momtoabby Updated 15 Dec 2009 , 2:44pm by caseyhayes

momtoabby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momtoabby Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 4:19am
post #1 of 11

Hello everyone!

I am needing some help! I can't seem to make red icing. I use wiltons "Christmas Red" coloring, but it seems I have to use so much to get a shade I want. It always turns out almost pink. I have even made it and then let it sit overnight to darken. No luck! Any help would be appreciative!! Also, black icing. It's always dark grey. Should I use chocolate frosting, then add black coloring?

Thank you all so much for any help you give me icon_biggrin.gif

10 replies
PuffCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PuffCake Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 4:28am
post #2 of 11

If you have access to Americolor brand, their Super Red and Super Black are terrific. They are very concentrated and require much less color to achieve deep dark shades with no bitter taste. They are available online if you can't find them locally.

psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 4:32am
post #3 of 11

Try starting with pink color first and get it dark pink then add red. But Americolor is the best if you can get it.

kakedreamer1212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakedreamer1212 Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 4:52am
post #4 of 11

I have to agree. Americolor is def. the way to go. I use to have the same problem with red, seemed like no matter how much color I added, it wasnt what I wanted. I discovered Americolor and Its always perfect.

momtoabby Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 4:52am
post #5 of 11

Thank you both so much! I will try the pink, then red and I will definetly look into buying Americolor!

I forgot to mention...it's royal icing that I have a hard time coloring red and black.

Again, thank you

Lyns082608 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lyns082608 Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 4:56am
post #6 of 11

I havent used it with royal icing (only buttercream) but before I got my hands on the Americolor (DEF the best!!!) I used the Wilton's No-Taste Red. It took a LOT of it, sometimes almost an entire little jar. Letting it sit overnight helped; but like everyone else has said, try to get the Americolor!

caseyhayes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caseyhayes Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 5:00am
post #7 of 11

To get true red add orange to it and let it set. To get true black you can use all the left over icings and add together then add your black. Purple and brown help make a true black.

momtoabby Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 5:04am
post #8 of 11

Thank you! Thank you!!

caseyhayes Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 5:08am
post #9 of 11

You are welcome! Trial and erroricon_smile.gif

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 1:17pm
post #10 of 11

I do as stated above - start with pink and then add Americolor Super Red. Let sit for a day or two to deepen in color. I get a great red this way.

caseyhayes Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 2:44pm
post #11 of 11

I'm gonna have to get some of that Americolor! Out of the stoneage and shop online!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%