Problem: Icing Is Never Smooth

Decorating By uk2usa Updated 14 Dec 2009 , 7:57pm by obabassa

uk2usa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
uk2usa Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 5:56pm
post #1 of 5

So i have been using Wilton's buttercream recipe for a while. But when I ice the cake it is always bumpy, has holes and I can never have it look smooth. I even sieve the powdered sugar. can anyone help?

4 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 6:05pm
post #2 of 5

I use Indydebi's buttercream recipe and the Melvira method. They work great together. http://cakecentral.com/articles/126/quick-easy-smooth-icing-using-a-roller-melvira-method

joyfullysweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joyfullysweet Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 7:24pm
post #3 of 5

I use the buttercream dream recipe from here. have you tried using a Viva paper towel to smooth? I can't believe how great that works. I also found this tutorial helpful:

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 7:41pm
post #4 of 5

uk2usa, you will LOVE Sugarshack's instructional DVD, 'Perfecting the Art of Buttercream.' It's worth every dime for someone just starting out (and even after that! icon_smile.gif ). You (we) might as well learn how to do it right early-on so you don't get into bad habits.
She is Sugarshack here on CC; you can pm her.

obabassa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
obabassa Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 7:57pm
post #5 of 5

Yep, I would have to agree. Sharon Zambitos Perfect Buttercream video will improve anyones skills. She also has a video clip on youtube showing how she makes her buttercream. Used it several times and I have the video too.
Also, if you can get high ratio shortening use that in place of crisco or if unavailable use the store brand without the trans fats removed. It makes a better more stable icing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%