Ice Cream Cake Carved To Look Like A Football Helmet??

Decorating By paula19 Updated 15 Dec 2009 , 12:32am by paula19

paula19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paula19 Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 5:31am
post #1 of 3

I plan to make this raiders football helmet for my boyfriend's birthday http://www.sidelinemvp.com/Images/Football%20Replica/OaklandM.gif and my boyfriend wants his cake to be an ice cream cake. But because the cake would have to be out for hours for me to carve it and decorate it, I'm wondering- Is it possible? It'll be a challenge for me, but either way, I'll make the cake. Do you guys have any suggestions? How would you make it?

2 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 5:47am
post #2 of 3

The ice cream cakes I've had were only a layer of cake on the bottom - the rest was ice cream...

You might want to reverse the components by having a carved football helmet cake set on (square or round cake pan formed) ice cream base. Then you could take all the time necessary to carve and frost/fondant the helmet.

I think it's a tad unrealistic of your boyfriend to expect a helmet cake that is alternating layers of cake and ice cream. (At least if it has to look like the illustration you provided.)

You could probably mold layers of cake and ice cream by using the Wilton soccer ball pan as a mold, but the decorating would have to be pretty limited because of the "melting" issue.

FYI, Rich's Bettercreme is used to frost commercially available ice cream cakes, so you might want to use that as filling between the cake layers as it does complement ice cream nicely.

HTH

paula19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paula19 Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 12:32am
post #3 of 3

Thanks for your advice! I think that is what I will do... an ice cream cake as a base. It only makes sense to do that icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%