Help!!! Chocolate Mff Is Powder.........???

Decorating By KateLS Updated 15 Dec 2009 , 11:34am by dsilvest

KateLS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KateLS Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 5:20am
post #1 of 15

I have NO idea what I did wrong! I halved the recipe with:
1/4 Cup cream
1 Tbsp unflavored gelatin
3 oz semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup corn syrup (however, I used "light" corn syrup)
1 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp glycerin
1 tsp clear vanilla extract
1/2 dash salt
1 3/4 lbs powdered sugar

I feel I followed all the directions correctly except, the first. Well, I put the bloomed gelatin in the microwave for the full minute...realized I probably should have done only 30 sec, since it's half the recipe.

But the rest I shortened the time.

Perhaps I didn't let it cool to luke arm enough?
Or was it the "light" corn syrup?
also, I used whipping cream. Is that the wrong kind of cream?

So I've finished, and it's like a powder. I'll try to post a pic.

Please let me know what I did wrong. And how can I save this?

Thanks!!!!!
LL

14 replies
LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 5:41am
post #2 of 15

Your supposed to use light corn syrup. Whipping cream is heavy cream. If everything was liquid, maybe you added to much powedered sugar too soon and didn't get the liquids mixed in properly, before continuing to add the sugar.

KateLS Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 5:45am
post #3 of 15

*Sigh* I slowly added the sugar, and it was powder the whole time. I just thought maybe I needed to keep the mixer going for a while and it would combine.
Do you think there's any way to save this?

LaBellaFlor Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 5:49am
post #4 of 15

I'm sorry, but I just don't know if it's salvagable. I've never seen it that dry before. I've never halved the recipe before, but I can't see how that would be a problem. Did you mix by hand first or go straight to the mixer? It does say to mix by hand first, then put on mixer. The only other thing I can think of is trying to kneed it by hand, adding some crisco or more glycerine.

KateLS Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 5:52am
post #5 of 15

Yes, I mixed it by hand first. (He He...I actually almost used my hands to do it. A little tired.) And it seemed to be all powdery. I thought maybe it would combine more in the mixer. Didn't. Maybe I'll go try the glycerin and kneading it. It does sorta stick together if I squish it. I'll let you know. Thanks for your help!

More suggestions are very welcome!

LaBellaFlor Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 5:54am
post #6 of 15

If it sticks together when you squish it, then kneed away!!! It probably just needs to be mixed by hand at this point. icon_wink.gif

KateLS Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 6:07am
post #7 of 15

Stink!!!! Not working!!! It sticks together in a ball, but just breaks apart if I try to fold it. It has the consistency of those no bake drop cookies with oatmeal and peanut butter. (after they've been cooled).
I did try adding another 2 tsp of glycerine...it helped only minimally, and I didn't want to use the whole bottle.
So sad! I'd try again...but I don't know what I did wrong. I really don't need a whole batch. *sigh* This is my lot, it seems. I told my DH that I be right up to bed. It's been over an hour. So frustrating.

LaBellaFlor Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 6:09am
post #8 of 15

Try the crisco and kneed away.

KateLS Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 6:12am
post #9 of 15

Perhaps I should try it without the chocolate? And see how it turns out. I only did chocolate, because I need a little black fondant.
I'm seriously only making a TINY cake. I'm so very new at this, and so am going small. VERY small. I have a teenager at church who's birthday it is tomorrow. Her fav colors are black and pink, and her twin's fav is purple. So I'm making them a 2, 3, & 4" tiered cake for their birthday.
Only a little fondant needed. *sigh*

KateLS Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 6:12am
post #10 of 15

I'll go try crisco. How much do you suggest to start with?

KateLS Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 6:48am
post #11 of 15

Well, I ended up adding a cup.....(probably too much.) Anyway, it's all wrapped up now and we'll see how it is tomorrow.
Probably a loss, but we'll see. I'll update you in the morning.
Thanks for all your help! =)

Nighty night!

CakeDiosa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiosa Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 8:11am
post #12 of 15

If you still can't recover it try using the chocolate MMF fondant recipe by nefgaby on 11/22/06.

It doesn't involve nearly the ingredients you mentioned and sounds like the process may be less involved as well. It is FAIL PROOF. I love it and it gives you the best consistency fondant. Even if you see it cracking as you knead it roll it out then gauge it's "doneness". I've seen cracks as I knead with different batches but it rolls out just fine.

If you can't find the recipe let me know and I'll type it for you. Make the whole recipe. You can then slather it with crisco, wrap it tight with saran wrap, throw it in a zip lock and store it, room temp, for at least 2 months (worked fine for me and still tasted great!) and in that time you'll have the black available for your accents or whatever. And in my experience the texture improved with age.

Put your color in as your melt your chips and MM in the micro and add an extra TBS of water. It should be fine.

hth!

Harleyfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Harleyfan Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 2:40pm
post #13 of 15

I haven't made the MMF, but I have halved other recipes before. The first time I did it, I couldn't figure out why it didn't turn out anything like it was supposed to. I studied the recipe over and over again and finally realized I had miscalculated one of the measurements when halving it; totally threw it off. Not saying that that's the problem, just suggesting it might be a possibility. Maybe the time you mentioned in the microwave might've been that one thing that threw it off. Just thinking out loud. Hope you're able to get it to work! thumbs_up.gif

KateLS Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 8:21am
post #14 of 15

Thank you for your suggestions! I tried again this morning, remembering to do half the time. I also added half the amount of powdered sugar at a time, so to make sure it mixed in well. I think it turned out decently. It did crack a little more than I would have hoped, but I think it was okay for a second try. =)

I'll keep that mmf in file, so to use when needed. Thank you!

I really like the taste of mff. My husband actually said it was edible. Which is a great compliment for him. He doesn't like fondant.

If you want to see the cake I made with the fondant, it's the pink, purple, and black one. I'm still very new at this! But I do enjoy it very much. =)

Again, thank you all! =)

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 11:34am
post #15 of 15

If you like the taste of MMF try substituting 1 cup of cocoa for 1 cup of PS. You can also add 1-2 tbsp of glucose or corn syrup to the marshmallows. It will improve the stretchability. I also add a bit of glycerine to the marshmallow mixture.
Don't add all of the ps unless you really need to. I usually leave some of the ps out while mixing it and add more the next day once it has rested.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%